• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re 45mph hunt driving me insane

Ever since its warmed up,  that gear hunting has come back. It's even worse now. Just out of curiosity,  i called a transmission shop and asked them.  They said it could be one or both governor pressure solenoid or a check ball in the valve body. How likely is that?

It seems temperature dependant, which baffles me. Is the consensus still AC noise from the alternator?

• Owner

Pull the field lead from the alternator when it starts happening. If it goes away then its AC noise from a failed diode. I've see rare cases where diodes break a solder joint and randomly make and break the connection. Where temperature could play a roll on how the broken part may expand and contract.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 5:51 AM, Dynamic said:

What all has been done to your transmission and valve body?

A rebuild with Kevlar clutches, higher line pressure valve body for towing/hauling, triple disc converter.

The other day on the way home it was hunting again. Pulled over and disconnected the field lead like Mike said to do. Hunting went away. But after i ensured a reconnection it didn't do it afterwards anyways. Im leaning on it being the alternator again. I believe i bought a replacement at O'Reillys back in '13-'14. I didn't keep the receipt for it even though i think it was lifetime warranty. They have a system in place now to look purchases up to do warranty returns, but this was after my purchase. 

I just need to find a better alternator to replace it with so i don't have to spend money ever do often on a new but crap alternator. Where to get that though, i dunno...