• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Quadzilla Tuning R & D Thread

Me78569

Im still working on a tune with my 7X13 sac at 365bar. When i come off the throttle or even just idling in gear and push in the clutch it acts like its going to die then over compensates and revs up and so on a few times. you can see it on my graph. Also any tips on my graphs? So far starts good like stock but also trying to tune out the loss of power right off idle. Tons of power on tap.

test2.JPG

@dirty830 mine has done that for years, ever since I put in larger injectors. It or worse the warmer the ambient temp.also worse with#1 fuel. I tried to get rid of it for a while. Lee (contagious) and I talked about Few things and tried a few things with no success or further ideas... Funny part is if it does it at 45mph it'll do out until I stop moving... If It does it at 10mph it'll do out until I stop.. No matter how long it takes.. If I coast from 70mph it will lope until I get to a stop..and it appears yours did the same, once you stop it stops... Strange

20 hours ago, Ekillionc9 said:

i have noticed however that it idles most of the time at 15.5 deg timing.

Here's mine after almost 1 hour of city errands today. 16.54°. It's cold outside! Looks like I need to crank up the fuel pressure regulator a hair as well.

20180115_111726.jpg.0baeb330bd9f9f53d3ff8582d4dc7e71.jpg

28 minutes ago, Dodgeih said:

@dirty830 mine has done that for years, ever since I put in larger injectors. It or worse the warmer the ambient temp.also worse with#1 fuel. I tried to get rid of it for a while. Lee (contagious) and I talked about Few things and tried a few things with no success or further ideas... Funny part is if it does it at 45mph it'll do out until I stop moving... If It does it at 10mph it'll do out until I stop.. No matter how long it takes.. If I coast from 70mph it will lope until I get to a stop..and it appears yours did the same, once you stop it stops... Strange

As long as it dont die i think i can live with it.

33 minutes ago, Carbur8tr said:

The off idle is just a result of the Quadzilla taking over and pulling the signal down. Not a large problem with smaller injectors but as you pull the signal down more the issue gets worse.  I really don't think we have a good fix for it right now.

Could you have the boost offset set to 1psi so it never hands fueling off it stays controlled by the quad?

4 minutes ago, dirty830 said:

As long as it dont die i think i can live with it.

Could you have the boost offset set to 1psi so it never hands fueling off it stays controlled by the quad?

Mine only died with #1 fuel and temps 45ºf+a couple times but that rarely ever happens... And no there has to be throttle input and/or rpm requirements met for quad to fuel, it can't do anything at idle.. What % are you starting your can bus fueling at and how much low boost smoke do you have? 

1 hour ago, dirty830 said:

Nope, that's not how the hand off works. 

So when you start the truck the quadzilla sets the handoff point at 1000 rpm and tps > 0.  once 1000 is reached the quadzilla will hold onto control of fueling until either tps < 1 or rpms fall below 700 rpm.  Once either of those happen the handoff rpm is set back to 1000 rpm and the cycle repeats.     This way you dont get a fight for control once a condition is met.  

that loping you see in the datalogging is %100 the ecm trying to manage engine rpms at idle state without load.  It shouldn't die if it does regularly I would be looking at your injectors or pump. 

If you want to help your offidle power you need to make sure you are setting you 0 psi setting high enough.  It might be needed to set your 0 psi at say %70 but your 1 psi setting at %65.   Easiest way to know is set your quad to lvl 1, then adjust you valet mode power until you are happy with the offidle power vs smoke.  Once you find a good % for lvl 1 to feel good then use that as your starting point for your actual tune. 

Here are my current settings and level 3 just for the simple fact that stock turbo, no headstuds, and slipping clutch sooo. 

I've noticed you have to start the canbus fueling higher like 85. When I lowered it to the 75ish range it would start doing all sorts of bucking when trying to take off.  I got it to the point I could duplicate it over and over. Anti stall would work great from a dead stop but say rolling to a stop sign when you don't fully stop is when it does it. Start bucking a ton and either mash the fuel or push in the clutch and try again. With the settings I have pictured it almost doesn't do it at all. I have 7x11 with idk what pop pressures buy I would think some of the guys with bigger injectors could start at low 80's or high 70's and rudeuce canvus fueling from there to about 8-10 psi range then start cranking fuel back into it. Timing also plays a huge role. I providing my timing but everyone's will be a little different. I had to pull timing a few degrees across the board from where I was at with stock injectors. It's really running great and it's crazy to think how much the quadzilla is pulling the fueling down from stock and it's still pretty quick. Can't wait to get more mods and turn it up. 

Screenshot_20180115-224210.png

Screenshot_20180115-224221.png

Screenshot_20180115-224235.png

Screenshot_20180115-224246.png

nice looking tune.  I like to see people setting their 0 psi setting higher than their 1 psi setting, good work!   once you get a bigger turbo and studs then we can play with things more.  You will gain a TON up top by adding timing.   30* by 3k rpm is pretty typical for boxed tuning on our trucks.

The slushbox makes it nice for the 0 psi setting I dont have to worry about that bucking, my starting point for the tune is %65.

Edited by Me78569

8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

"I like to see people setting their 0 psi setting higher than their 1 psi setting, good work!   "

This ha.  I need to find a good starting point for my 0... The bucking is pretty bad right now if I ease into it.

29 degrees the morning, no grids, and no issues starting.

17 hours ago, dirty830 said:

When i come off the throttle or even just idling in gear and push in the clutch it acts like its going to die then over compensates and revs up and so on a few times.

16 hours ago, dirty830 said:

If I'm understanding this correctly, the quad is not in any sort of control in your situation. I saw similar results with mine at 365 bar, although I have an automatic.

The addition of factory anti-stall will likely add complication to this. I believe we have basically found the upper end of pop pressure being tuneable with the Quad. To fix these starting and off-idle issues will likely require ECM program changes that we can't do.

So is there anyone with an auto that wants to test / use some staging code?

I ran the testing awhile ago at 5 ish psi and it worked pretty good, but my drivetrain really can't handle 15 psi launches.  

the code will manage fueling to try and keep boost at X if mph = 0.    Pretty fun.

If ( mph == 0 && boostdefuel == T)

then

if ( boost < boost limit)

add fuel

if ( boost > boost limit)

reduce fueling

so really you plant your foot to the floor because you know you are going WOT leaving the light.  while mph = 0 the quadzlla will manage fueling to try and keep boost as the specified amount.