• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transmission and pump

okay first an update on the clutch ....so far so good ..no problems out of the new south bend ..other than it seems a little more nosy than the old clutch ...kinda chattering ......still hard to go into third unless its double clutched.......i also am wondering if any one has heard of exhaust brakes being hard on the engine?....i know they help save service brake ...but if they wear the engine unnecessarily it doesnt seem worth it to me...finally (sorry)...how difficult is a p7100 pump change i had the pump gave to me for free

When you installed the SB clutch, did you replace the existing clutch slave cylinder assembly? With respect to the P7100, I think the cost of conversion would be prohibitive and have its own issues.

• Like 1

• Owner

okay first an update on the clutch ....so far so good ..no problems out of the new south bend ..other than it seems a little more nosy than the old clutch ...kinda chattering ......still hard to go into third unless its double clutched.......i also am wondering if any one has heard of exhaust brakes being hard on the engine?....i know they help save service brake ...but if they wear the engine unnecessarily it doesnt seem worth it to me...finally (sorry)...how difficult is a p7100 pump change i had the pump gave to me for free

As for the exhaust brake it has no ill effect ot being used on a engine... The valve creates back pressure equal to that amount of boost you normal produce on the intake side. So it reverse effect is slowing down the engine.

As for changing out the injection pump your going to need about another ~$1,500 to do it and tear down the front of the engine...

* gear case (Incudes pulling the cam)

* high pressure fuel lines

* new throttle linkage

* new lift pump or change the cam for a cam with a lobe for a mechanical fuel pump.

And a few other things that you'll have to change to finish up...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

thanks for the info on changing the pump ..no i did not replace the slave cylinder all i did was replace the old disentegrated clutch and :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You might want to seriously consider changing out the old slave cylinder with a South Bend slave cylinder. My understanding is that they do make a noticable difference and improvement.