• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Most likely the longest running steering...

• Owner

So coming up on a birthday for my truck in October heading to 16 years of ownership and currently standing with 315k just about to roll up on the odometer. I'm still running the factory steering box and power steering pump. To this day the steering box is still tight and leak free. I've adjusted the over center adjustment a few times but still the steering box is working just the way it did when I bought the truck brand new in October of 2002 and it had only 43 miles on the clock when I test drove it. My truck has seen a lot of rough roads and dirt roads, off-road 4WD travels so, there is no pavement princess here. 

Now I have to admit the since I've never run an over sized tires on my truck has a lot of to do with this fact. Not to mention when I swapped out the 265's for the 235's gave me a huge edge of going further on the factory steering parts. Like to this day I've still got my OEM tie rod ends and never changed them yet. Still tight and no issues. Never done a lift kit or leveling kit that destroys the geometry of the front end. Currently running factory 2nd Gen wheels 16x7 chrome wheels with the 235's. 

The only things that have been changed have been one track bar and one set of ball joints. That's all...

This is posted to give a point of reference to getting the most out of the Dodge Steering and it can be done. :smart:

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I still have the oe steering box and power steering pump, both working fine and and not leaking. I have run the the stock 265's with the alloy wheels. Mine does see mostly the highway and not much off road. I did replace the ball joints and steering components about 170k ago. A couple of the tie rod ends were getting worn and I just replaced everything. I do need to adjust the steering box again and the ball joints are starting to get a little play in them. So i will be digging in for another rebuild when I have time. For now I am still happy after 420k.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Nice... 420k miles on the OEM steering box and power steering pump. Well, you've got me beat then. I still got you beat on the tie rod ends. A Little secret I'll let out I've got a true grease needle and re-fill the tie rod boots with grease when they get low. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man