• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 Dodge 24V 2nd generation starting problem

Over the last few weeks, my truck has been showing an engine check light. The light comes on only when the truck has been running for 1/2 hour or so. I am only using the truck for short distances while driving to and from mowing jobs. After completing a lawn, I will attempt to start the truck to head to the next job, and it will NOT START. If I wait for 20 more minutes or so and try again, it will now start. A mechanic came over and placed a scan tool to the computer input and the scan tool was not able to read any data!! If anyone has any ideas of where to begin on a diagnosis I would appreciate it. Note: After the truck sits overnight, the next day the truck will start and usually there is no engine check light on.

• Owner

A mechanic came over and placed a scan tool to the computer input and the scan tool was not able to read any data!!

Time to check wiring... The network wiring...

Posted Image

There is also a fuse that powers the plug too...

In any case you need acces to that plug... The error code will tell you exactly what is wrong...

Time to check wiring... The network wiring...

Posted Image

There is also a fuse that powers the plug too...

In any case you need acces to that plug... The error code will tell you exactly what is wrong...

Hey Mopar Man, your saying the scan tool not working may be a result of the plug in area having a blown fuse? Where would that fuse be? In the cab area or under the hood? Thanks for the help. As it is right now, if the truck starts I have to leave it running for fear it will not start after leaving for another mowing job...:mad:

It could be in the cab the IOD (ignition off draw)... But check the fuses...

Thanks again Mopar Man

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Thanks again Mopar Man

After some more calls to a friends mechanic, he asked me if the tachometer was shutting off periodically. I forgot about that issue in my earlier post. I said yes. He immediately said my problem is most likely the crank shaft sensor located near the starter. Since I had no scan codes to go on, I am assuming this is the problem. Before my mechanic replaces this piece, I will have him try and get the scan tool to confirm my friends (mechanics) diagnosis.