• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I was coming home from being stateside late last nite bored, (just under 2000 miles in 2 days), and tired and ended up in a race , just to amuse myself, with a little foreign sports car of some sort. After impressing myself with atop gps speed of 121mph, I slowed back down to my cruising speed of around 77mph. About 5 minutes after the run, I pulled into a coffee shop for 5 minutes and when I started my truck, it had a knocking noise in engine. Drove another 150 miles to home, never got any worse. No bass pressure, no filings in bass, besides the noise, it's working perfect. It sounds louder on driver side close to half way. Gonna pull her apart on Monday. What do you think? Donald

• Owner

So I was coming home from being stateside late last nite bored, (just under 2000 miles in 2 days), and tired and ended up in a race , just to amuse myself, with a little foreign sports car of some sort. After impressing myself with atop gps speed of 121mph, I slowed back down to my cruising speed of around 77mph. About 5 minutes after the run, I pulled into a coffee shop for 5 minutes and when I started my truck, it had a knocking noise in engine. Drove another 150 miles to home, never got any worse. No bass pressure, no filings in bass, besides the noise, it's working perfect. It sounds louder on driver side close to half way. Gonna pull her apart on Monday. What do you think? Donald

Edge juice with attitude, hot unlock, on stage three, I think it's set at 1500*

Sorry to hear...:cry: But like ISX keep us posted and I'd love to hear what you find... Time to pull the head and take a peek... :stuned::wow::pray:

Another hour in the morning and we'll have the motor out. Prediction of my good friend mechanic is a wrist pin bearing. Hopefully by dinnertime tomorrow, we'll know. Donald

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I know I really need to put the $ out and get a bigger turbo!

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Where on the injector do you look to find out what's in her size wise?

Thanks Mopar, I'll have a peek tomorrow

---------- Post added 06-01-2010 at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-31-2010 at 10:22 PM ----------

Got my injector #. It's 0432193629. What size are these? Donald

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Got my engine tore down. It was the #5 piston scuffed. Sorry guys I can't do any pics for you rite now. My mechanic couldn't believe it was scuffed with no bass pressure. So off tomorrow to get my block bored and head checked and crank polished and $$$$ all from my own stupidity. Had I spent $1600 two months ago for a bigger turbo, I wouldn't be doing this engine job rite now, and I new better too. Donald

• Owner

Well, if I,ve got stock injectors, then I've got one hell of a smoky truck for stock. This thing is dumping its boost on level 3 at 28lbs boost and if I put it on level 6, hot unlock, it will smoke so bad, you can hardy see the car behind you. Now I'm puzzled. Donald And it pulls hard too

• Owner

Anyone want to verify my info... :shrug: As for the smoke... Heavy black smoke means there is excessive fuel to air ratio. Do you have a boost leak? I just lost a manifold bolt not to long ago and found that 6mm bolt hole can really drop boost pressure. Is the IAT temp sensor correct? I've seen where a IAT sensor reading lower temp create some dark clouds... Ummm... I left my IAT fooler on from high idle and boy at 26*F worth of manifold temp it can dump some thick black clouds! So check you IAT sensor with a live data tool it should read roughly +40*F over outside temp while cruising... Or the same temp of the coolant in the morning. Wastegate hung up and not closing completely? I seen a few report of P0234 code and found the wastegate frozen. Is it possible the wastegate is hanging up and not closing completely?

l'll try and check things out, but if my waste gate was sticking, would she still dump the boost at 28 lbs. Or if I had aair to air leak. To me it seems like I'm getting lots of fuel, but not enough air. Especially when I have the power I have plus high EGTs. I'm totally confused

• Owner

Something to think about... Without my Edge Comp (completely disconnected) and stock injectors with a boost elbow I still can pull almost 25 PSI of boost... Now with Edge Comp on 5x5 and RV275 injector I bury my 35 PSI boost gauge most times... 34-35 PSI of boost... High pyro temps means lack of boost. Lost of black smoke mean lack of boost... If the wastegate wasn't shutting completely it can't build full boost. If there is a boost leak like a gasket or such the boost pressure could be lower.

Well, I think I'm really going to have to give my truck a look over when I put her back together. If I have a boost leak, I can't wait to try this truck without one. I've run duramaxes with programmers and never lost a race yet. My neighbor mechanic has an 02 6 speed dodge with 4" exhaust, otherwise stock and mine will completely destroy it. I do find my truck a little slow to spool up thou. Nothing is ever simple is it? Donald

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

BTW, Thanks for all your help Mopar!

the body gets re used when injectors are uprated to bigger nozzles. If the injectors are stock they are roughly 7 x 0.0075 Without checking the diameter on the nozzlesthe HO nozzles are roughly 7 x 0.0071RV275 are about 7 x 0.008if you take apart an injector there may be numbers on the nozzle, but make sure you do it in a clean place and don't lose anything.

I have my injectors at an injector shop rite now. He is going to take them apart and clean them. He asked to see if anybody would know the stock#s on the nozzle or any of the aftermarket nozzle #s. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I gotta get this rig figured out before I put her back together. Donald

Ok, I'll call him tomorrow and ask get him to write them down. Donald

---------- Post added 06-03-2010 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-02-2010 at 09:46 PM ----------

Well, the only thing he can find marked on them is a P, no numbers, no nothing. Any idea? Donald