• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New SouthBend Clutch Tomorrow

dorkweed

Kinda quiet around here!! :( I was gonna save this post until after the install, but what the heck!!! Taking the girl(my truck) in to have the SB Con OFE installed tomorrow. Can't wait to see how much difference there is between it and the stocker. I've slipped the stocker a few times, so I've been judicious on how I lay into the throttle the last 3-4 months. This one is supposed to be good to hold 450hp and 1000ft.lbs.!!!! B) :thumbsup That's more than I plan on modding, plus the fact that this clutch is made especially for those that tow a lot. I think I fall into that catagory!!!! LOL Hopefully there are no complications with the install and I'll be able to give a report tomorrow!!! Later!! :thumbsup

• Owner

Hmmm... I would love to see how it turns out... I'm going to be looking for a clutch here soon. I know my time is getting rather limited. I've slipped mine quite a few time pulling logs and just screwing around... So I know my time is short...But post some pixs of your install and I love to here about the improvements... :thumbsup

I got her back today!!! B) I wasn't able to take any pictures of the install for 2 reasons. They cannot (due to insurance BS) have anyone other than mechanics in the shop area and because I had to work. I borrowed a truck on Monday and today one of my farrier buds picked me up at the my house as we were working at the same barn today!! Sorry for not getting some pix; but I've got a few stories to tell. One about what they found in the tranny. And another about them getting the run around from Dodge/Chrysler for a part!!!So I drop her off at a shop recommended to me by my friend from my retriever club at 8:00AM on Monday. My friend fabs up parts for the race cars the guys build at the shop. He says they'll try to get it done by 4:00PM, but he says to call about 2:00PM to find out how it's going. I do that. They said everything came apart just fine. The flywheel is not back from where ever they send it out to get it ground. They said it would be done tomorrow. I also had them check the rear main seal as she was dripping oil. Well she needed a new seal!!! Napa couldn't get it so they called Dodge. Dodge dealer says no problem, we'll have it to you tomorrow 9:00AM. So tomorrow comes. Well the Dodge part guy doesn't show up until 11:00 and guess what........no seal with him. Well, the shop owner, hit the fan I guess(I wasn't there). Evidently he told them to get one here today or he's making some phone calls!!!! Can't argue with that!!! Anyhow, they get one from a different Dodge dealership and it gets there about 1:00PM just about the time I call today for a status report. Shop owner tells me that the seal just arrived and that they're gonna get her all back together for me today. He says call back at 5:00PM if you don't hear from him. I do that. He says that the trucks running and to come and get her. I call another friend to take me there and pay for the work and drive home.When they tore into the clutch, they found the pilot bearing was all but gone. They said part of it was laying in the bell housing!!! 8| I asked how the input shaft was. He said, "You are one lucky man!!!!" He said on the NV5600's that he's never seen one like this with no internal damage!!! They just emery papered the input shaft and it was good to go. He said usually when the pilot bearings go they take the input shaft and 6th gear with it!! Funny thing was, my truck still shifted really well. No problems at all with it. He said the stocker clutch was oil soaked from the rear seal slinging oil. Probably why she was slipping when I stuck my foot into her!! :thumbsup But according to him the clutch was not in bad shape. It had some wear. The flywheel had some "hot spot" on it also, but he said nothing the grinder couldn't fix. This is the 2nd rear main seal replaced on this truck!! :( The first time it was replaced about 2 weeks after I got the truck!!! The rubber on the he took out today was very "hard"!! That can't be good!! Any ideas???The pedal pressure is about the same as the stocker. The feel is a bit vague though. Not bad, just different. Hopefully the feel will get better with use. You truly know when it's engauged though. There is some clutch rattle in neutral and the clutch engauged. I never heard it though until I pulled into my garage when I got home. The noise went away when I depressed the clutch. There is also some noise if you get below the torque band and give more "go pedal". Nothing loud at all, but you can hear it. Just driving around the bit I did tonight, it felt like she had a better "hook up" that before. It's kinda hard to explain. A bit less go pedal for the same acceleration. That's strickly by the "SOP" meter though. My Edge Juice w/Attitude has a tranny slip display, but after driving with the new SB Con OFE, I think it's BS. The truck just feels "more alive". Does that make sense??? Could the stocker have been mildly sliiping even without my foot in it?? I suppose with oil on the clutch that's possible.JFYI, I got the SouthBend Con OFE. It's rated to hold 450hp and 1000ft.lbs. That's more than I plan on doing!! This is also the clutch Peter at SB recommends for the guys that tow most of the time. I think I fall into that catagory. Any questions, fire away. :thumbsup B)

Too cold to work today!!! Twas -6 when I got up with 30mph winds!!! :wow :wow My testicles still haven't descended yet from getting some wood to burn from my shed this AM!!! So I'm being "domestic" today. Cleaning up, organizing etc.!! I went to the store to get some things also. But I drove the truck the real long way there just to get used to this new clutch and to "break it in" some. Honestly, the more I drive it the better I like it!!!! B) I'm real happy!!!! :thumbsup

• Owner
  • 1 month later...

Dorkweed,are you still liking that clutch?I had problems with mine,and SB never got back to me on my broken center....I never even got the crosshatching out of the flywheel,was not impressed with the center,the pressure plate is top notch however,I've used it for about the last 200k,since the stock release bearing went out and mangled the stock pressure plate.The friction material in the SB is great too,mine was a little to grabby for hauling heavy,I don't use the clutch very aggressively,I think that bridge sections and stuff are what did mine in.Also have the SB hyd stuff,and it's great too...I hope you have good luck with yours,I'm sure it would make a great mudding/tractorpull clutch.Brian