• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Its the Common Rail 2003 and up that have a hard time getting past 100k to 300k without eating a piston from failed injectors.

Really?  That bad?  I didnt know that. 

Of course I havent been paying attention to 3rd gen stuff though

• Owner
6 hours ago, GSP7 said:

Really?  That bad?  I didnt know that. 

Of course I havent been paying attention to 3rd gen stuff though

Last truck in my yard lost $6,000 worth of engine after #6 injector took piston and ring out for #6 cylinder. Need to be bored and sleeved. This all happened with the factory injectors at 112K miles on the clock. Factory injector stuck open hosed the rings and ate the cylinder. Most people don't take the warning signs of the hard starting serious or the grid heater light always on Dodge's way of telling you that you have failed injector(s). I've got another one I continue to warn the owner to park the truck because the grid heater light is on. Doesn't listen though. When he eats the engine he'll be all pissed off.

• Owner
4 minutes ago, 975speed said:

My truck needs a little throttle to start but ik some of these trucks are that way it’ll start without throttle in couple of seconds 

97 is a P-pump and don't have any cold start idle for them so yes its normal to give throttle to start a 97 Dodge cold. This was resolved in 1998.5 with the VP44 where the ECM kicks the timing up to 20* BTDC and ramps up idle speeds based on ECT temperature. Once warmed up the timing falls to 12.8* BTDC. Something P-pump can't do.