• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just bought a 2000 ram 3500 cummins 5 speed manual...Having issues.

Glad to have found this forum....Ok, here's the deal. This truck was last tagged in 2011. It was drove/cranked periodically for very short periods while sitting 99.9% of the time. 

I got it tagged and inspected, filled up with fuel. I've put about 350 miles on her trying to see if Lucas fuel treatment  might resolve some issues....as I am new to owning a Diesel, in general. I've done a lot of googling though, LOL. All right, here's what's up. It busts off and cranks fine, every time....but it lopes very hard and spews white/blueish smoke....very strong diesel smell until it warms up a bit. Once warmed or ran, it cranks fine.            Second issue...Usually after a cold start after sitting overnight, it has no power. I'll get to the highway and have to stop and kill it, then crank it and it seems to go. OR, if I start going downhill, once I get 4th gear up to about 2000 rpms, power kicks in...It seems to run all day long at 2150 rpm on the highway, but in town....say 40 mph, 4th gear and 1500 rpm, it will lose power every time, if trying to hold constant speed. Seems I have to push it hard and run on up to 2100-2500 rpms during acceleration to keep the power pouring on. You can hear the clattering change pitch as well as feel the difference. It seems if I gradually slow to below 1600-1700 rpms in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear it loses power. If in 3rd or 4th, I can clutch it, let the rpms drop to idle, dump the clutch and go on, as long as I'm accelerating...just about every time it happens in 5th, I have to downshift to get power back.

I have tested and reset the APPS. Good, smooth voltage response with no erratic spikes/losses between .6v at idle to 3.78v at wot. Replaced the lift pump(OEM)/fuel filter. Getting 8 psi at ip at 3000...was getting 3 psi with the old pump/filter. Checked codes. Got a P0216. I know what that means in general, but I also hear it can be something else. I don't know how long it was installed, but I found a Diablo power puck hooked to the VP44. Disconnected Bart cables, turned on key and lights to clear ecm after removing it. Still exact same issues. Anyone else have similar issues?

Your Vp44 injection pump is dead. I very highly recommend gettting a better than OEM lift pump such as Airdog or Fass or your new one will die quickly from lack of fuel pressure. You need 16-18 psi at idle and no lower than 10-12 at wide open throttle. Also the power pucks are known for messing things up. I can’t remember what it is that it does but maybe someone can tell us. Also if the injectors are stock and have over 100k I’d get a new set or have them cleaned and pop tested. 

And by the way WELCOME to he forum! Glad to have you on board this great place! 

• Like 1

• Owner
14 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Also the power pucks are known for messing things up.

What little I know of the power puck it just a CANBus tuner without setting. No control of fuel or timing for the end user. Not all that good really.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What little I know of the power puck it just a CANBus tuner without setting. No control of fuel or timing for the end use. No all that good really.

Seems Iv heard on CF about cuasing issues and throwing codes but who knows.  And OP if you don’t mind please fill out your signature so we know all about your truck to better help you out. Thanks! :thumbup2:

I had a power puck and it made the truck run weird sometime like a switch was going on and off It would also throw a Apps low voltage code. Took it off and all my issue I was having disappeared. 

When I opened up the puck the board was corroded and had water in it. 

Thanks for the replies. I guess what messes with my mind is that the old truck cruises just fine down the interstate at 75, but falls flat on its face in town. I been shopping for a vp44, but wanted to pick yalls brains before doing anything else. I know I need gauges...especially in cab fuel & boost. I was curious about the MAP sensor maybe causing these issues at lower rpms?

Just now, Jholder said:

Thanks for the replies. I guess what messes with my mind is that the old truck cruises just fine down the interstate at 75, but falls flat on its face in town. I been shopping for a vp44, but wanted to pick yalls brains before doing anything else. I know I need gauges...especially in cab fuel & boost. I was curious about the MAP sensor maybe causing these issues at lower rpms?

It’s a possibility but doubtful. You can find a set of Isspro mechanical gauges at Vulcan Performance for 350$