• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Surging

So I’ve been driving my dads truck for a while and I’ve noticed in the morning at first start up the truck will surge a bit under very light throttle. Like only enough throttle to get the trucks moving you can hear it. Let it coast, nothing. Get a little more on the throttle, nothing. Only lasts a 1/4-1/2 mile or so.

Doesn't seem like there’s neccesarily anything wrong, just wondering if anyone knows what it could be? 

• Owner

Remember just because there is no CEL doesn't mean there aren't codes stored. I would look into getting a OBDLink or similar and plugging it in and you can check both live data and error codes both. 

Remember error code are typically stored for 40 engine warm-up cycles. This means dropping below 140*F on cooldown and rising above 160*F. is one warm up cycle.

• Owner

That's what I'm trying to do is see what is causing the issue by getting some information from the engine and possibly see why its surging. Right now all I can do is guess that it could be injectors, FCA, coolant sensor, IAT/MAP sensor Etc. There is a lot of information used by the engine from different sensors and without being able to see the data it tough to point the finger at something. 

• Owner
6 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I doubt it’s any of those, the truck only has 9,3xx on it. I’m thinking it has something to do with warming the emissions crap or something but not entirely sure.

That made me think a second. If I'm not mistaken the 6.7L have oxygen sensors. I again I wish I had some live data. You would be able to see the sensor that is creating the surge. My knowledge on the 6.7L is limited but I've got a basic understanding.