• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Propane regulator, gas vs. liquid?

How do you tell the difference between a liquid propane regulator and gas propane regulator? I know they used LP regulators back in the day then it would turn into a gas later down the line.

That's what I have always thought, but some old man with an old machine is telling me they used the liquid in the old days. Not sure what to believe and he wasn't sure his machine used the gas or liquid since it has apparently never ran. Figured there must be a way to check.

Yeah I knew how worked. The LP boils off into gas at anything over -44F and then you get your gas. I don't see why it wouldn't work though, putting the tank upside down so all the liquid comes out the regulator instead, then vaporizes in the lines or something. Not sure, don't see it as being impossible so just wondering on this thing.

Yeah I knew how worked. The LP boils off into gas at anything over -44F and then you get your gas. I don't see why it wouldn't work though, putting the tank upside down so all the liquid comes out the regulator instead, then vaporizes in the lines or something. Not sure, don't see it as being impossible so just wondering on this thing.

This is a VERY dangerous thing to try. The only application that I am aware of where this is done is when propane tanks are filled. If liquid propane were to reach a burner........it would NOT be a good thing. Mike has experience as a fire fighter. I am sure he can elaborate on that.

I didn't think it was smart either and yeah the only time I could think of using it is the filling stations. The only reason I am asking is based on what this guy says, he might be completely full of crap. He seemed to think the liquid went out the tank and into some other thing on the engine and then it vaporized and the engine ran. I am beginning to think he was just guessing.

The set up you are thinking of was used on vehicles. There was a liquid line that ran to a heat exchanger that was heated by the engine cooling system. By getting liquid to as close to the point of use there is a lot more vapor (power) available (required when it is cold out). Generally the liquid regulators are a pressure reducing valve and the vapor regs are a diaphragm type. For some reason my laptop won't let me put pictures on here, but go to this page for pictures: http://oem.cadregister.com/asp/PPOW_Entry.asp?language=GB&elementID=23801004&product=PS&referrer=V3Redirect&ori=/CADREgister.ppow& Clear as mud??

• Like 1