• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Windshield Wiper Issue.......?

MnTom

Ever since I got my truck, once in a while the wipers won't work on intermittent and they will also stop where ever they are when I turn them off. If I turn them on and let them sweep a couple of times they will work properly and go the park position when shut off. Is this a possible relay in the PDC problem?

• Owner

It also could be a bad wiper motor. I've had that happen on both my 1972 Dodge Power Wagon and my 1973 Dodge Charger. There is a reed switch in the motor that detects for park position and if the read is broken or damaged then the wipers shut off on the glass like you describe. The wiper relay is just a trigger pulse to get the wipers to cycle on command. So you can try swapping relays with another device. I'm figuring that its going to be the wiper motor. 

Would the reed switch make the wipers do multiple sweeps sometimes when on intermittent? That is something I am not sure about. I was thinking that the contacts may be rough and stick once in a while. Maybe there's more than one issue. I can swap relays, but won't replace the wiper motor until it quits completely. 

• Owner
11 hours ago, MnTom said:

Would the reed switch make the wipers do multiple sweeps sometimes when on intermittent?

Possibly if the motor doesn't sense the park position like it should. I remember seeing my 73 Dodge Charger fail and that was funny. Turn the wipers off they would run backwards till the key was turned off. The park position read had broke and would continue to run. I'm assuming the same thing has happened the park read failed (or failing) so it some time sense to stop in the park position and other times it cycles a extra pass or two.

You guys ain't making thisa cheap fix.......:spend:

I just did some looking. I can get a new motor for $183.99 or a reman for $42.99. Probably gonna let it run it until it quits completely. I do want to find a rear door latch. I have one door that won't lock or unlock electrically. I have to lock it manually.