• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

waste gate line

ok quick question a few days after getting my truck ....only diesel i have ever owned btw ....i cut the black rubber line and plugged it ...i was told this was the waste gate line .....my question is this ...what are the benifiets or draw backs to cutting and plugging both ends of this line ...?

Benefits:

Only limit on boost now is your right foot. A stock truck might be able to push 25psi, turned up a bit you can probably hit 40psi.

From the time the wastegate *should* open, until the time you go over 35psi, you will be building more boost and have more power/lower EGT's.

I have my wastegate still connected and top out at almost 35psi, but anything over the 23psi mark, I am building boost against the wastegate, meaning I am making so much power that I am able to outflow the wastegate and continue up to 35psi. If I plugged the wastegate, I could probably hit 40-45psi. So from the last paragraph, a plugged wastegate will get to 35psi quicker since it doesn't have to outflow the wastegate to do it, however, you will also go over 35psi too, which isn't desirable.

Drawbacks:

HX35 is only good to 35psi, past that and it goes out of it's map and builds heat (creating high EGT's), also will reduce it's longevity.

Potential to blow head gasket if the engine is capable of building some big boost numbers.

Unless you have some way to limit the boost, it is not a good idea to do it. If you have your chip or something all the way up and are pulling a trailer up the side of a mountain and floor it, you will build a ton of boost and run a real risk of blowing the turbo or head gasket.

• Like 1

first thank you isx for the info ..second because i havent touched the turbo yet is it safe to assume that i have the hx30 turbo on this truck ?.....also i only have the early version of the edge ez so no selectivity on power levels ...from what research i have done it appears this box only made roughly 65 extra hp.....no other big mods done to the truck as of yet ....so im guessing im pretty safe for now.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

sorry meant the hx35

Yes the HX35 was on all 2nd gens except for 1994 trucks (H1C, same as HX35 as far as I can tell) and 24v auto's had a HY35 which has a smaller exhaust housing.

You will probably be fine. It does take some good mods to get it over 35, I think anyways. You forced me to go out and clamp the wastegate and personally see. I get such wild readings on max boost with the wastegate hooked up, haven't figured out why but after I advanced my timing I could hit 34. Now I was only able to hit about 29. Probably cheap fuel and some stuff on the injectors since I haven't gone over 10psi in months lol.

Anyways, I am making a video showing it. I was able to hit 35psi at 3/4 throttle, proving that it builds boost quicker because of the wastegate not hogging some air, but also goes over 35 easy. That's a little too close for comfort for me so I unclamped it once I got back. I will get the vid up whenever it decides to get done uploading :thumbup2:

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Here we go.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXl82G_Ebo

• Like 3

ok quick question a few days after getting my truck ....only diesel i have ever owned btw ....i cut the black rubber line and plugged it ...i was told this was the waste gate line .....my question is this ...what are the benifiets or draw backs to cutting and plugging both ends of this line ...?

isx said it..and i will add some simplicity...a wastegate is security or insurance per se....when it it's max boost it dumps it...when you take the hose off of the wastegate side and plug it..zip tie it or whatever you can make it spool til it will explode..this is a play at your own risk deal...remember overspeed is over heat is blown head gasket..this equals...thermal meltdown...just an f.y.i.:thumbup2:
  • Like 1

• Staff

My WG is in the same boat (electronically, not pneumatically.. but either way its not operation). At the power levels I am at I make the amount of boost I am happy with. The biggest drawback is drive pressure is a bit high when accelerating at higher rpms and boost.. But really its okay, since the WG opens itself at 55psi of DP from the opening, not the actuator; so its stays in check. If you have more fuel than your turbo can handle you need a WG, if the match is good then you should be fine.

• Like 1

wow ...thanks for the video ....I'm thinking i should really invest in some gauges so i can see what is going on with the truck.....also I believe that once I do something with the stock fuel setup (raptor air dog fass ) i may need to replace the wg line a melt down is not anything i want to be part of...but wow what a difference it makes according to the video....again thanks