• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

16+ more years

my 01' is in great shape.   only issues are the bed is starting to rust on the wheel arch, minimal "surface rust" on the frame and the cab just has a couple spots that need to be touched up.  driver door already replaced but will get the pass door prepped to avoid rusting out.  just need to change out the cab gasket around the doors and herculine stuff since carpet is out.

2 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

my 01' is in great shape.   only issues are the bed is starting to rust on the wheel arch, minimal "surface rust" on the frame and the cab just has a couple spots that need to be touched up.  driver door already replaced but will get the pass door prepped to avoid rusting out.  just need to change out the cab gasket around the doors and herculine stuff since carpet is out.

LMC truck has that gasket for 50 bucks. I buought one but have not installed it yet but it appears to be very good quality. Now if it fits I will be good. My drivers side has taken a good pounding over the years. Not sure the price is any better or worse than any where else but I saved on shipping cost by adding it to my order from them a while back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for sharing, their thoughts ideas etc.

Here is the plan I'll be pursuing. I'm not going for a new truck, my reasons for this cost, cost and cost, for the truck and maintenance once out of warranty, seems each generation of truck get’s more complicated and expensive to work on for parts etc.

I know the 5.9 enough to get into trouble and just enough to get out of trouble most of the time lol and I will be expecting this truck to carry me many a mile pulling a 13k 5’er once I retire

Soon I will begin what I’m calling a “restorative” process for lack of a better word. I’ll be replacing various items that age clearly says, must be changed.

I just got a 2004 Dakota with 5 speed with 81k miles i’ll be using that as my daily driver while I work on my 02. 

I’ve classified the work by safety first and reliability, so here is some of the stuff I’ll be doing

Rebuild and/or replacement of front suspension (bushings, ball joints, coil springs etc), steering items, Sway bar bushings links front and back, leaf spring bushings, all of this is still factory original, still debating Energy Suspension Kit, Moog or whoever lol

Then on engine, tappet cover gasket, VP44 (has 200k+ miles on this vp44, still runs fine, so coin toss on this one, being to my knowledge no real way to test vp44), Vacuum Pump (replace or seals), power steering pump. 

Feedback welcomed, thanks in advance.