• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 2500 24valve steering

21 hours ago, ruedger455 said:

O  I should probably replace both of them but money is tight right now.

You might find a good used one, shaft and all. They appear to fit from 94-02. The 4x2 should fit but it is the quick ratio, might get you by for a while tho, if you can't find 4x4. If you need your truck like yesterday, Napa or O'Reilly have reasonable prices on rebuilt with lifetime warranty. 

I also recommend you fix the hydroboost leak. If it is not leaking into the cab, a seal kit is only $20. They might sound hard to fix, but they are not. If it is leaking into the cab, then it is more difficult to work on, but a rebuilt is $200. Keep us posted. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, NIsaacs said:

You might find a good used one, shaft and all. They appear to fit from 94-02. The 4x2 should fit but it is the quick ratio, might get you by for a while tho, if you can't find 4x4. If you need your truck like yesterday, Napa or O'Reilly have reasonable prices on rebuilt with lifetime warranty. 

I also recommend you fix the hydroboost leak. If it is not leaking into the cab, a seal kit is only $20. They might sound hard to fix, but they are not. If it is leaking into the cab, then it is more difficult to work on, but a rebuilt is $200. Keep us posted. 

Yea I need to fix the hydroboost leak but I havent a clue on how to do it.  I got the new gearbox and new shaft in tonight and its still pretty sloppy steering.  Thought that the new shaft and gearbox would tighten it up alot.  But it didn't. 

18 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Have you done the rock solid bushing yet. 

Now that you bring those up, whats the general consensus on that these days? Was quite a controversial thing on CF years ago. Many said it was so tight you could barely turn the wheel. I shied away from it. Maybe those issues have been fixed?

7 hours ago, dave110 said:

Now that you bring those up, whats the general consensus on that these days? Was quite a controversial thing on CF years ago. Many said it was so tight you could barely turn the wheel. I shied away from it. Maybe those issues have been fixed?

I put one in my truck when I was chasing some popping sounds in the steering. If helped but didn't cure, after I did over the center justment on gearbox it went away for the most part. Either way my bushing fitted nicely, took a little bit to press it in, but wasn't horrible, I did have my head off at the time doing head gasket when I installed it. I don't have any complaints about the bushing but my preloaded bearing was still in decent shape. Well at least now I don't have to worry about it.

BTW I spoke with Ryan at blue top and told them about adjusting gearbox, he sad it's not really a great idea as it's making it feel better but internally it's going to wear out faster, so I made myself feel a little better for now but I am planning on getting a new gear box eventually.