• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coolant leaks - Oil Cooler

2 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

As far as pits in the cylinders/blocks, isn't that more electrolysis than anything? 

That's what I used to think too, then I found out that it's from violent detonation of diesel engine that creates tiny little bubbles that form on cylinder walls and when they explode they carve a lil into the metal. A place that's what I found out I'm sure there is more reasons why it happens. Took this picture when I was getting few things at the Cat dealer 20160607_125827.jpg.8fa6bdea0115a768643492779a0496c2.jpg

Guest 04Mach1
4 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

That sucks, I just checked my stock and out of three brands none are CES 14603. This is good to know, I have never heard of it, and this is from a 20 year log truck owner. Was this around in the 70's and 80's?

As far as pits in the cylinders/blocks, isn't that more electrolysis than anything? 

I honestly don't know when Cummins and other manufacturers started pushing maintaining molybdate and nitrites in coolant. My grandfather had a fleet of trucks when I was growing up and I don't remember testing and maintaining coolant but I do remember rebuilding a Cat 1693 due to cavitation of the wet liners. I think molybdate and nitrites probably came about some time in the 90's.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Still in all... 360k miles and now losing a gasket. No big deal. I've got to get some time and order a gasket from Rocky Mountain Cummins. 

How do your cylinder walls and inside engine block look? It's never too late to start using the proper coolant.