• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replaced Stock Injectors With RV275 Injectors

Just adding to the info on the topic of leaky injectors after a change/replace. I had a retired diesel mechanic years ago show me a way of seating the crossover tube to the injector properly. When seating the injector into the head and then installing the crossover tube you should push with your thumb on the end of the tube and at the same time rotate the head of the injector (I use a screwdriver that fits the slot on the head of the injector) counterclockwise the clockwise slightly and you'll feel the tube setting into the head the furthest it can go. Then tighten the injector hold down. Then when you tighten the fuel line nut down it will also seat properly in the head. I've done this on about 20 different injector jobs and always the line nut torques down to 30ft/lbs smoothly and no leaks. Hope this helps someone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rotohead said:

Just adding to the info on the topic of leaky injectors after a change/replace. I had a retired diesel mechanic years ago show me a way of seating the crossover tube to the injector properly. When seating the injector into the head and then installing the crossover tube you should push with your thumb on the end of the tube and at the same time rotate the head of the injector (I use a screwdriver that fits the slot on the head of the injector) counterclockwise the clockwise slightly and you'll feel the tube setting into the head the furthest it can go. Then tighten the injector hold down. Then when you tighten the fuel line nut down it will also seat properly in the head. I've done this on about 20 different injector jobs and always the line nut torques down to 30ft/lbs smoothly and no leaks. Hope this helps someone. 

I was taught something similar that I put into my install video. I don't rotate the injectors but I install the lock bars and don't tighten then down, but in do tighten the crossovers first then the injectors. 

I also loosen my blue lock bars too before tightening down the crossover tubes.  

It's saved me a bunch of headaches too.

• Like 3

The FSM calls for tightening the injector holddown first to half its torque, then back off the bolts to relieve the tension.  Next, tighten the injector crossover tube nut to 11 in/lbs.  Go back to the injector and begin alternating between the injector holddown bolts and the crossover tube nut until final torque is achieved.

@rotohead and @pepsi71ocean, I think that the goal of all of these methods are making the best effort to center the injector crossover tube into the into the injector housing using minimal force for a reliable seal.  I have watched a few videos that don't even consider the importance of this step.

- John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1