• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12V with 2 stroke oil noise difference

There are several neat parts to this vid and I kept every part short and sweet so keep watching it if you hit a second thats boring :thumbup2: I ran the initial 2 stroke test by dumping the fuel filter and priming it straight off the tank of 128:1, so there would be no leftover fuel messing up the ratio. The engine was completely warmed up on all tests. So first off we have the comparison in sound between regular #2, 2 stroke@128:1, and 2 stroke@2:1. All of these test were right at 1000RPM with the camera in the same spot. Then we have videos showing return line rates and how it works. Then we have a vid of me showing how I got 2:1. Pint of 2 stroke and quart of 128:1 that is in the fuel filter should mean around 2:1.. So, I think there is a little difference between #2 and 2 stroke. I know you VP guys say you can hear the 2 stroke hit so I would like to hear that sometime. The fuel lines did not get very warm at all, I thought they would but since they don't really cool the injection pump like it does on the VP44 (oil does on my p7100), it makes a little more sense. I am surprised that you hear 0 difference between 128:1 and 2:1, just goes to show that 128 is plenty.

The thing I am really wondering is how does the VP heat up at all with that much return flow? I am just assuming it is the same but I guess you don't have that kind of flow. If it is under 14psi, do you have any return at all other than the tiny amount from the injectors? I mean it only took a minute for it to completely mix that little bottle of 2 stroke with the quart of fuel in the filter canister..

i doubt the 44 returns near that much, i know a n-14 cummins has a huge return but a mercedes 4000 has almost no return, can only speak to these engines from manufacturing training most of my diesel knowledge comes from semi work thats why i bought my truck, lots of freightliners were equiped with isb and i enjoyed working on this engine and the m-11 cummins

If it is under 14psi, do you have any return at all other than the tiny amount from the injectors?

does the vp44 have an internal pressure regulator? i thought i read that it does(17psi internal), so i theory the overflow *should* always be open? unless you are emptying the rotor each injection event a fass or airdog system removes all those air bubbles:broke:

I just want to see how much the 24V VP flows. Nobody seems to know or have any proof or anything, just pressures that get thrown around, then you get this internal regulator stuff.. Nobody has ever pulled the return line off and watched. Be even neater if you could vary your fuel pumps output to see what happens as it goes from 10-20psi. Would it not flow and then open up to a lot of flow at 14psi? Or would it wait until this 17psi internal regulator thing? I haven't seen any proof like I just showed on mine. I just hear all these numbers that keep turning out to be inaccurate or just one page of the story.. I think I will buy a 24V and start testing :drool:

• Staff

Nice vid... I know on my truck when I ran 448:1 I didn't notice any change in the engine, but B20 makes it SUPER quiet and runs about 1-1.5psi more fuel pressure across the board. Okay so looking at flow.. From what I can tell the intank Mopar pump is 35 GPH minimum. I will use my mm3 per stroke, as I don't know what it is on a VP44 truck (Michael can tell me off his data plate).. But at 325 hp I burn 18.2 GPH, so even at WOT there is a min of 17 GPH going back to the tank. A VP44 truck will be more return as the hp is lower. It should be constant as the pump are electric and pump the same anytime they have power (except the running vs non-running voltage)

Yeah I've never understood how it can't have flow, I mean the pump would have to seize up to not have any flow. So I am just wondering where it all goes on the VP44 and why heat is an issue..All engines have mm3 per stroke for some reason, I have seen Mike's and even mine is mm3.

Wasn't thinking there, but yeah the mm3 rate is the same on mine and his if I remember right, 103 mm3/stroke. Can't remember if his was cut off, he didn't have a pic of his full tag. Dang it, I had a PM from him with it in it but I must have canned it. How did you figure the power thing?Actually, a REALLY neat test would be to test both of our trucks fuel rates at 600 or 700TQ since I should be putting out at least 800. Now THAT would be a neat test! Get mikes 24V in there too!

Alright I talked to Mike and yeah we are both at 103 mm3, yet he is 235/460@2700 and I am 215/440@2600. Yet then there is the mileage thing that throws all of this info off. Hmm

the different spray from the 24v injectors may change the power/torque thru the range with the same amount of fuel

• Staff

Alright I talked to Mike and yeah we are both at 103 mm3, yet he is 235/460@2700 and I am 215/440@2600. Yet then there is the mileage thing that throws all of this info off. Hmm

Quite interesting. My guess is the dynamic timing is the reason they can get more power off less fuel, but the dynamic timing also allows for adjustments that improve emissions, which always seem to decrease mileage (except UREA.. but Dodge hasn't gone there yet).

Now I'm curious. Need to get the mm3 on all the different models. Let me make a post in the 24V section and see if I can get some numbers for the vp44 HO and automatic models. Not sure we have enough members in 12V to get all the different models, let me try MNtoms site and see what I can come up with. I don't know much about the different 3rd gen models, what is your mm3 anyways?

• Staff

Now I'm curious. Need to get the mm3 on all the different models. Let me make a post in the 24V section and see if I can get some numbers for the vp44 HO and automatic models. Not sure we have enough members in 12V to get all the different models, let me try MNtoms site and see what I can come up with. I don't know much about the different 3rd gen models, what is your mm3 anyways?

Mine is 132 mm3 per stroke.