• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New injectors, oops.

Truck jelled up during this winter. As I thought   Plug it in every night and everywhere I went. Got in at one evening -5°, white smoke, miss, blow by, ran like dog. Drained tank, new fuel filter, new fuel, clean.  new injectors, feed tubes, it’s all in correct, and it’s the same. I was leaning towards sensors. This truck has some major issues with electrical. Diesel world is new to me, I can wrench, just can’t seem to make money grow on trees. Need the work horse back and somewhere to start. Hope I’m in the right place. 

• Staff

Sounds more like broken rings than gelled fuel. 

What injectors did you install? 

Blow-by is not caused by injectors, as there has to be a physical path for the combustion gasses to follow to the crank case 

Edited by AH64ID

Bosch. So many forums with different opinions. I thought the fuel gelled. Again going off of a few guys opinions. Might not have. I changed filter, drained fuel and went from there. Think I would have learned from the first time, instead I took a few more opinions, and bought those injectors and feed tubes. I thought the damage, if any, could have been done due to an injector stuck open. Very new to the diesel world. Hoping it could be something other than rings... 

• Owner

It's possible for a big injector(s) to wash out the rings because of an injector(s) stuck open. I've seen 2005 Dodge that wiped out 5 and 6 cylinders and ate the rings. 

I've got a 2012 Ram now that has just one injector that was high return flow rate and rail pressure was always weak. No cylinder damage that I can detect. Runs good. After sending the injectors to be tested at DAP the bad one shows up.

A bad injector can casue cylinder damage. 

• Owner
1 minute ago, kzimmer said:

Only if it's stuck open, correct? And there should be black smoke and a heavy fuel knock?

Typically no black smoke or fuel knock. Just typically hard starting and WTS light typically on. Like, in this case, WTS wasn't on but P0087 error code and hard starting. 

• Staff
46 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically no black smoke or fuel knock. Just typically hard starting and WTS light typically on. Like, in this case, WTS wasn't on but P0087 error code and hard starting. 

Those are the symptoms if high return flow, not if an injector stuck open. 

A stuck injector will typically have excessive smoke and knock. 

A stuck CR injector will often melt a piston as the initial damage, after that all bets are off. 

The poor piston design in 04.5-07 5.9s leads to excess carbon build up, and then rings fail. More ring issues in 06-07 thou, not sure if it’s the difference in valve lash or what. Tuning is the same. This is the reason many rebuild with 03-04 pistons and injector nozzles. 

Bad rings will manifest in the OP’s manner, and the injectors are likely just fine. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Thanks 1