• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Caster cam bolt

On my previous thread, I listed various issues I was having with my steering system. Fast forward, now I have replaced all my components on the system. New ball joints, warrantied out the steering linkages. Replaced the steering box, not a red head though.

I even have a steering box brace on order to just give it that much more help in ensuring it'll stay together longer. 

The last thing I have to tackle is my control arms. I started yesterday with the lower. Took one off and it was a BEAR! The caster cam bolt was seized and had to use a sawzall to cut it out.

Then the hunt for replacements started. Sure wish I would have just ordered some sooner! I ended up getting a kit from napa, but it was the wrong size?!

The cam and bolt were too big. Not having much luck finding a kit. Has anyone had to replace them before? I ordered a set from rock auto, but it does not say anything about the size and maybe a specific application. Im concerned it won't be the right one.

The more and more I think about this, I'm almost wishing I would have just done aftermarket arms with adjustable heims.

I just replaced mine.

The large ones are 5/8 and mine are 9/16. 

Same as yours I would say.

I think the change over was mid 99. Not positive though.

I work at a place that sells used truck parts.

It was easy peasy for me to grab a couple new to me bolts.

Regards Chris

I used original mopar ones I took out of control arms from a front housing.

I work in a shop where boss bring tractor trailer of parts home from south Carolina.

Sheet metal...frames and chassis parts...engines and trans.

Makes it great for me...those bolts were free to me.

But spendy at the dealer.

Regards Chris

You're not alone...I had to take a Sawzall to mine too.  But I went with aftermarket longarms with hiems on one end and polys on the other.  They are fully adjustable so I replaced those adjustment bolts with grade 8's.  Now an adjustment is loosening a couple jam nuts and spinning the control arm...super easy and highly recommended. 

13 minutes ago, Bullet said:

You're not alone...I had to take a Sawzall to mine too.  But I went with aftermarket longarms with hiems on one end and polys on the other.  They are fully adjustable so I replaced those adjustment bolts with grade 8's.  Now an adjustment is loosening a couple jam nuts and spinning the control arm...super easy and highly recommended. 

Got a link ?

12 minutes ago, Bullet said:

They are TGC's...I think that stands for top gun customs.  About $1100 is what I gave for them. 

https://www.topguncustomz.com/i-25499601-short-control-arms-0-to-6-inch-lift-double-adjustable-dual-heim-2000-2002-dodge-ram-2500-3500-2000-2001-ram-1500-4x4.html?Session_ID=101746fcd666ceb1a8b6aac0cfbbf898

I wish mine only cost that much.  I got the longarm bars for 6-10 inches of lift.  They are cut out on a cnc machine and welded together with their logo cut out on the middle of each bar...they also come with new brackets cuz the arms are much longer than the stock bars.  I had to cut the old bar mounts completely off the frame and grind them smooth.  It's these... 

https://www.topguncustomz.com/i-25499454-long-control-arms-4-link-upgrade-2000-2002-dodge-ram-2500-3500-4x4.html?Session_ID=101746fcd666ceb1a8b6aac0cfbbf898

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1