• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird idle, now two codes.

For about the last month or so, sometimes when I start my truck, it will idle at 1200-1300 RPM, and it just hangs there, never tones down. (no high idle switch on my truck) Other times it idles at 800-850. 

I've done the APPS reset a few times, it will help for a few days. Then it's back to high idle once and a while. Month ago I had auto zone scan my truck, no codes. 

Yesterday coming home from the other side of the state, coming down the mountain into Denver, truck started running funny, pedal was not responding. I would mash the throttle and RPM would jump up like the clutch was slipping, but truck was not increasing in speed.

Few miles later, the check engine light came on. I stopped at a auto zone in Denver, got two codes. P0121 and P1693. 

Shortly after leaving auto zone, light went off, and the truck ran normal, few hundred miles later truck started running funny again. Pedal not responding, RPM jumping around, but truck was not picking up speed.

Thoughts?

Edited by 24Vdodge

Yeah was thinking the APPS was on it's way out the last month or so. 

Are the pedal conditions normal that I described? RPM increasing, but the truck not picking up speed.  Is that common when the APPS is on its way to the grave? Or do I have another issue? 

If you were cruising with clurch engaged an increase in rpm should cause an increase in speed. Mine would increase in speec when I had a very similar issue a while back. My issue was in the wiring with the 5v supply to the sensors. I repaired the bad splice and did the WT ground mod and have been fine since.

As stated above, a bad APPS can cause the issue also. Just was not my issue. Run the diagnostics to be sure.