• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New NV 4500 with South Bend DD, full package with 1-3/8th input. ( 4th gear vibration on deceleration) trouble

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Bearing failure. The main-shaft to moving forward and backwards enough to pop the shift ring out of gear.

Which bring the question, whats causing it? and would they have rebuilt it with a old or bad bearing? hmmmmm...

I know they will reuse parts that fall into spec, but I really think the bearings should have been new.

• Owner

That is the only reason it will kick out of gear is the main shaft is moving fore and aft as you decelerate. 

During all my transmission work I ask for all the old parts during the rebuild. This way I can account for what work was done and see possibly the damaged parts.

When I broke the mainshaft I had the same problem of kicking out of gear. Mainshaft was moving. When I ate 5th gear it worked fine. Shaft was solid not moving.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

32 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is the only reason it will kick out of gear is the main shaft is moving fore and aft as you decelerate. 

During all my transmission work I ask for all the old parts during the rebuild. This way I can account for what work was done and see possibly the damaged parts.

When I broke the main-shaft I had the same problem of kicking out of gear. Main-shaft was moving. When I ate 5th gear it worked fine. Shaft was solid not moving.

Which bearing is it?