• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 24 valve high idle and bucking at highway speeds

at idle my voltage drops sometimes and you can hear a load drag the engine down a little and the lights on the dash and headlights dim i have a feeling this and my bucking have something to do with eachother. After a few seconds of the "load" it goes back to normal and it does it repeatedly the guage on the dash will go down to 11 or so volts then come to a little after 14 volts ive put a multimeter on the alternator while its idleing and no jumps or hiccups with the voltage coming out of the alternator.

• Staff

These trucks control units are very susceptible to not only poor grounds, weak connections at the battery, bad batteries, corrosion in the connectors but AC voltage from a bad alternator diodes.  If the AC voltage is high enough, >0.03VAC, It will cause not only automatic overdrive problems but other drivability problems to the point of ECM/PCM failure.  I strongly suggest you test for AC voltage with a quality volt meter, like a FLUKE multimeter, and read over that Ground Reference article.     

Edited by IBMobile

3 hours ago, 24vgarrett said:

at idle my voltage drops sometimes and you can hear a load drag the engine down a little and the lights on the dash and headlights dim i have a feeling this and my bucking have something to do with eachother. After a few seconds of the "load" it goes back to normal and it does it repeatedly the guage on the dash will go down to 11 or so volts then come to a little after 14 volts ive put a multimeter on the alternator while its idleing and no jumps or hiccups with the voltage coming out of the alternator.

It sounds to me that you are describing the normal cycling operation of the intake manifold heaters .  Combined, the two intake manifold heaters draw about 200 amps - that is why your are seeing the drop to 11 volts while idling.  When the heaters cycle off, the voltage returns to around 14 volts.  The heaters will continue to cycle until the engine coolant temperature rises to a specific value or when the truck has been driven over a specific speed - approximately 25 mph.

- John

• Like 1