• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Rubber

About 10 days ago, coming home from work, the truck felt weird. It felt soft behind and like the front of the truck was nose up. So I pulled into a gas station to buy some adult beverages and check it out. Well, the drivers side rear tire was quite low, and probably looked worse than it was because I had my work trailer in tow. Anyhow, this is Friday at 2PM and I drive the rest of the way home drop the trailer and run up to the local Cooper tire dealer. I wasn't gonna fart around trying to patch a tire that was 75% gone and 81,000 miles on them. I could've pushed them to about 100k miles if I was cheap, but, I was gonna get new rubber at the end of summer anyhow, and I figured what the heck, prices will only go up between now and then!!! I bought some Cooper ATR's in the stock tire size LT265/70 17E. They are A LOT more aggressive than my stocker Michelins but don't look like a mud tire. They ride nicer than the stockers too. Slight hum when rolling, but I only notice that because the stockers didn't make any noise. I've got about 500 miles on the Coopers now and so far I'm liking them. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Adult beverages??? :nono :nono My Hell Dorkweed... (shaking head) just say your buying some beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :thumbsup :thumbsup lol.. Congrats on the new tires.. sounds like it was time... ... ;)

• Owner

Now lets see what happen to the MPG numbers... :rolleyes I pulled my Coopers STT off and put the ol' Stock Michellins (265/75 R16) back on... But I rather say my good tires for the winter time and the dip snow that burn up a $1300 set of tires on the road...

So I pulled into a gas station to buy some adult beverages

Beer... Just call it what it is... LOL

OK, I was on a "beer run" after work!!!! B) LOL Anyhow, after about 2 weeks on these tires; I can tell you this...... They are definitely a softer rubber compound than the Michelins. They ride nicer. They hum a little bit at speed. They don't "roll" as easy as the Michelins based upon my boost gauge. All that said, I like them more than the MIchelins. They "look" better than the stockers also. I'll let you know what this tank of fuel averages as I filled up the day after I got the tires put on!!! Stay tuned!!! :smart

• 2 weeks later...

Filled up this AM........$150.01!!!!!! 8| Couldn't stop the darn pump even!!! 586 miles on the tank!!!! Anyhow, this tank got my 18.6mpg. More trailer towing this tank vs. the last and the new truck tires knocked the mileage down a bit. However, the tires feel like they're "hardening" up. Maybe it takes a few heat cycles of running the tires on the road to "cure" them????

I ran 70psi around in the stock Michelins and I'm doing the same with the Coopers. I don't want or like to mess with airing up and down seeing that I tow most everyday. They seem like they are hardening up a bit. Maybe it takes a few heat cycles of running them to "cure" them??? :confused

The old breakin sequence was to inflate to the sidewall label for 500 miles and rebalance. It takes about that long to work te beads fully into place. The 1st 100 miles under 60mph to let things ease into place and not have hot spots, especially at the bead. For cars that were 'freeway fliers' and never left the pavement add 10% more air pressure.They have lots of give in the new tread. As the tread heat cycles and outgases vapor it gets harderDad did not much care about balance - any where in the big ring on the bubble balancer - within 1/2 oz on the spinner but when they came back at 500 mile they were spun on the car to a random flash. Mostly less than 1/10 ozkeydl

• 3 weeks later...

This past Saturday, I worked in the AM.....a rarity for me!!!!! LOL Anyhow, I went and got new trailer tires on the work trailer after I was done working. Stock, my trailer came with 205/75 15C. However, when I got to the tire place they didn't have andy C rated trailer tires, but they had the same size in D's for $10.00 more per tire. I said "Do it"!!! The work trailer tows so much better with the D rated tires than with the C's. Even when the last C's were new!!! I'm wasn't even approaching the max for C rated tires either!!! :wow Anyhow, I like 'em!!! That's my story!!! :smart