• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heater/HVAC Air only goes to Defrost Vent

Hi All,

I changed the resistors in my HVAC system and solved the fan speed issue.  I decided to change the fan/motor as well and now there is no air coming out of the dash or floor vents only out of the defrost vents by the windshield.

Any ideas are welcome.

2 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Do you have air flow through the defrost or floor vents? 

If no, then the fan motor is running backwards.  

I have air through the defrost vents only.

I checked the new fan to make sure its going the same direction as the old fan.  I heard that might be an issue with the new aftermarket fans so I checked that before put it in.

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

Check for vacuum at the hose at the right out side fire wall. 

Okay will do when I get some daylight again.  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Check for vacuum at the hose at the right out side fire wall. 

By right side you mean passenger side correct?

1 hour ago, leety said:

By right side you mean passenger side correct?

Yes. It goes thruright where the AC linez pass thruu the fire wall. Mine broke there some years back. It is small 1/8" plastc lne. IIRC it has a fitting on lt. Be careful heat from the exhaust made mine brittle and it broke. Not much to work with either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup. No problem. 

2003 and up are all electric stepper motors. 

2002 and down is all vacuum driven.

Mine is electric. I had to reset it with a 9 volt battery that came with the heater treater metal part. You do mean the motor thatnoperatesmthe blend door right?

• 9 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, leety said:

Hi All,

I changed the resistors in my HVAC system and solved the fan speed issue.  I decided to change the fan/motor as well and now there is no air coming out of the dash or floor vents only out of the defrost vents by the windshield.

Any ideas are welcome.

Same thing just happened to me today, it worked earlier but stopped suddenly. Would that vacuum line effect 4x4 because it still works?

If you knocked the vacuum line off the pump yes, both would fail. The vacuum line to the hvac runs acroos the fire wall and thru on the passenger side. It is possible for that line to fail and the 4wd to stil work. But mine is an 02 and could be different. My advise would be to check the vacuum lines out from the pump to the manifold and the branch lines to their terminations. My line faied to the hvac near the firewall, then a bit later somewhere under the dash.

I have to admit l am not up on the vacuum system routing on a 98.5. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Manny said:

Same thing just happened to me today, it worked earlier but stopped suddenly. Would that vacuum line effect 4x4 because it still works?

I let the truck run and then tried it it was fixed after I let the truck run.  I guess the vaccuume pressure just needed to build up.