• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The heater has been getting a bit slow changing from heat to ac the past month or so. So today, 55 and raining out it decides it is staying in the AC mode. I figure maybe the stepper is going dont know that it might internal to the box. I put the heater treater part in it some years back so I dont think thats the problem. Any good way check that motor to see if its bad without pulling it?

Dave,

No not easily.  I attached the wiring to the blend motor. (and put a snip here) You could check that the voltage varies on the yellow/orange relative to ground as you turn the knob from cold to hot.  If it changes then you know that the command is being given.  Checking for the response is a bit harder.....   You could measure resistance from the Dark blue wire to the black light green wire to see if there is still a servo motor in between.... (if it were an open circuit you would know it is dead.)

image.png.6560d2295ac6b1c6bc79c603996f0904.png

2001 FSM Ram 8W-42-2.pdf

• Thanks 1

The above test would be a good test, but before I did that test I would turn the key to the "run" position and rotate the temperature control knob and carefully listen with my ear close to the blend door actuator motor.  If I could hear the motor operate (or try to operate), then I would think the problem would be a mechanical one downstream of the motor.  If I couldn't hear the motor operate (or try to operate), then I would follow up with @Haggar's advice.

I definitely want to know your fix because my Heater Treater part has been in use for 5 years now.

- John

I had an issue last year where my actuator would occasionally work, or not. I was able to pull it out and identify a few bad solders. Used a soldering iron to reflow the joint, been working flawlessly since.