• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High EGTs, Boost Maxes Out

I haven't been on a forum in many years but you kinda need to go back to them when you have a real question that needs to be answered. I have an 01 Dodge Ram 2500, auto, Quadzilla, 75 injectors, 62/68/12 and a Airdog

I run the Quad on the stock tune on the fuel saving tune and bump it up one when towing

I just installed my 3 piece manifold so I have my Quadzilla and Edge CTS probes installed and have really noticed my EGTs. They seem to be around 800 in flat ground and up to 1100 on small hills. I was told maybe it has a boost leak which I have checked. My truck can hit 25 lbs quick but kinda seems to max out but my wastegate should open at 35. Maybe I need a different turbo configuration or something but I just think my EGTs are high. 

Recently got the Moparman High Idle Swtich, install was easy but I just got it for the MPG mode. 

I have no problem spooling it unloaded and loaded, it just stops building boost at 25-26. I can take off quick and max out within 2 blocks. Smoke is pretty manageable too. I had 110 HP nozzles before but swapped them for other reasons, went smaller because I felt they were too big. I know I need to work on a tune for my truck too. 

How much boost are you making on the higher levels that @Me78569 suggested?

You won’t make 30 psi on level 0 with those injectors and that sized turbo.  provably won’t make 30 on level 3 either.  You’ll need some wire tap (more fuel) to get over 30 psi.

Try it at level 6,7,8 on the default programming and see how much boost it makes and report back.

Egts are a result of tuning not injector size.  I towed all through colorado passes with 7 x.012's with a he351 ve and didnt have egt issues.

Get some 7 x .010's ensure they are pop tested and then run them.  

Edited by Me78569

5 hours ago, mechrisme said:

I turned the tuner up to 10 and I was able to get it to 27 lbs of boost. 

Is that what the quad is saying (27 psi) or is that what your mechanical boost gauge is saying?

MAP sensor could be bad giving the quad an incorrect reading.

At level 10, you should be will over 27 psi even with that larger turbo.

Is there any smoke coming out of the tailpipe on level 10?

Im guessing large boost leak or bad MAP sensor.  I suppose it could also be a massive exhaust leak, after installing that 3 piece manifold.  Or maybe the wastgate is stuck open.  Check the wastegate.

Edited by gimmie11s

• Owner
8 minutes ago, gimmie11s said:

Could be a massive exhaust leak also, after installing that 3 piece manifold.

Very possible... Still you should hear the pulsing sounds from the manifold as a ticking noise. Still you should hear it. Not to mention you'll see the black carbon tracks.

Or maybe the wastgate is stuck open.

Possible. You would have to pull the turbo to verify the wastegate is truly shut. 

Is that what the quad is saying (27 psi) or is that what your mechanical boost gauge is saying?

Good question.

Boost gauge should be used over the Quadzilla boost display. Mine is no where close after about 20 PSI is starts skewing badly. Funny part is mine is reverse. WOT my Quadzilla recorded me with a max boost of 69 PSI. Seriously doubt that... Where my ISSPro only shows the typical 47 to 49 PSI

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I have a mechanical boost gauge but I haven't gotten around to installing it. The Edge CTS maxes out until 19 because of the boost fouler with the Quadzilla. I've been running with the Quadzilla up all the way, it does smoke a little more and I got the boost up to 27 psi vs 26 psi. I may look into getting some some 150 HP injectors soon. Probably gonna work on my gauges this week. The Quadzilla and Edge are pretty right on until the Edge CTS display maxes out. 

Something isnt right.  My quad readout is within a few psi of my mechanical gauge.  My mechanical gauge ramps up much faster and is a more accurate display of the boost curve, but as far as max and minimum, the quad is still very close.  When my mechanial gauge reads 38 psi, the quad will read 36 or so.

What RPM are you seeing full boost on level 10?

Check your wastegate. ... that's kind of what im thinking is wrong here.

Stupid question, but do you have an adjustable boost elbow or another way to adjust boost?

Like I can take off quick on level 10, I'm hitting 27 psi before I hit 45 mph and it's usually hangs around 2900 rpms when I shifts. I haven't messed with the turbo but did notice the wastegate linkage has been rubbing on the oil return so my guess it hadn't been working exactly but I did bend it some off the line.