• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stuff --

justbob

Look guys and gals I am a newbie and I am sure this has been talk about a bunch ----But please just for me Best exhaust change? best programmer?Best anything else that I can do for my 3500 dually 5.9 2006----I am just an old cowboy and don't know about this stuff I do have the 2 cycle down pat Thanks

• Owner

Look guys and gals I am a newbie and I am sure this has been talk about a bunch ----But please just for me

Best exhaust change?

In my book straight pipe is the best thing...

best programmer?

Edge Product right now is one of the best in my book but Quadzilla is coming up fast...

Best anything else that I can do for my 3500 dually 5.9 2006----I am just an old cowboy and don't know about this stuff

Hang around you can learn alot...

I do have the 2 cycle down pat

Thanks

Ask all the questions you want... If I can't answer it I'm sure I can find some that can... :thumbsup

Ask all the questions you want... If I can't answer it I'm sure I can find some that can... :thumbsup
Thanks alot ---Question-- Can I run a straight pipe legal #2 question two --does eagle require a change to the exhaust because of heat? not sure if I am asking this right #3. any idea why my computer makes a buzzing type sound -especially when it goes into screen saver (know that isn't about trucks but you never know (its not the fans)

• Owner

Well since you didn't fill out you info in you profile I've got no idea where your at nor state...so as for the straight piping... I know here in Idaho you can do it and not get into much trouble. I've been straight now for about 4 years and never had any problems with noise. Maybe because I don't go racing averything on the highway... And maybe because I'm part of the local fire dept... LOL But straight piped exhaust will reduce your exhaust temp considerably... 4" will do even more reduction than straight 3"...Edge Comp doesn't require it but it is suggested for performance...(Side notes...)As for screen savers I would ditch it personally it a waste of memory and CPU... The software is always loaded and waiting to run at the time selected. Inormally use the power feature to shut the moniotr completely down... This doesn't require any memory nor does it require CPU time... Actually if setup right the computer can gain some HP because the CPU doesn't have to send data to the bideo and keep drawing the screen so this in turn is a GAIN... ;)

Thanks again --as a computer 3 rd grader I didn't know there was a profile ---I live in Texas Drive two diesels a 99 2500 5.9 (227000 and still going)and a 06 3500 5.9...As is everyone I am looking for better mileage and still be able to pull my three horse trailer.As retired law enforcement and a forensic consultant -I understand the extra you get as a fireman.Does the straught pipe effect your warranty from Dodge ?Thanks for the computer info --didn't know you were an expert until I went to your website LOL

• Owner

Thanks again --as a computer 3 rd grader I didn't know there was a profile ---I live in Texas Drive two diesels a 99 2500 5.9 (227000 and still going)and a 06 3500 5.9... As is everyone I am looking for better mileage and still be able to pull my three horse trailer. As retired law enforcement and a forensic consultant -I understand the extra you get as a fireman. Does the straught pipe effect your warranty from Dodge ? Thanks for the computer info --didn't know you were an expert until I went to your website LOL

Yes the straight pipe does effect your warranty... At least my dealer didn't say a word and left me alone and dealt with everything else... I've been working with computers now since 1984 (14 Years old). I got a degree from ITT Tech in 1990 in Van Nuys, California. So that's 24 years of experience... Wow it been that long??? :wow Basically get it to breathe easier and the MPG's will rise... If the straight iping is a issue then I would suggest a full 4" exhaust system. At least then you can have a muffler and the added size will help it breathe. But if you want the straight ipe yet but be legal about it there is always a sneaker series muffler... Basically a stright pipe in a muffler shell... Its a legal muffler!!! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again --computer is running quite and and after a 1500 mile trip on 2cycle I am getting 20 mpg---am working on a4' exhaust with sneaker muffler --New question --any advandage to the larger finned tranmission pans ( I have an auto tranny)

I cant tell you too much about the 99 but on the 06 auto I would address the fluid flow in park and check valve in the cooler line before spending money on a pan upgrade. The 2006 should have a 48RE trans. The stock configuration does not allow fluid flow in park so no idling in park or you will heat the trans and slowly cook the fluid. Adding a Sonnax Pressure Regulator Valve and Sonnax Manual Valve will correct that. There is also a check valve in the trans cooler line up by the radiator. This should be removed as it is a known cause for trans failure if it gets stuck or lets go. These are all cheap mods and do not increase the power the trans can hold but help for longevity. The aftermarket pan is nice but I wouldnt shell out the cash for it unless you do mainly towing.

• 3 weeks later...

The cheap sneaker muffler is 2 five to 4 inch adapters and 2 foot of 5 inch pipe for a 4 in pipe. Trim the lapover on the 5 inch side of the adapters and weld to the 5 in pipe. install as a muffler. If you need a little baffling to reduce the sound add a 1/2 block off at both ends.3 in is about 7 square in 4 is about 12 sq in5 is about 19.5 sq inOr you could use about 1/3 block on the 5 in for a straight 4 in area. The 1/2 coverage sounds ok to me. YMMV :)keydl

• Owner

The cheap sneaker muffler is 2 five to 4 inch adapters and 2 foot of 5 inch pipe for a 4 in pipe. Trim the lapover on the 5 inch side of the adapters and weld to the 5 in pipe. install as a muffler. If you need a little baffling to reduce the sound add a 1/2 block off at both ends. 3 in is about 7 square in 4 is about 12 sq in 5 is about 19.5 sq in Or you could use about 1/3 block on the 5 in for a straight 4 in area. The 1/2 coverage sounds ok to me. YMMV :) keydl

That sound really interresting there Keydl... Do you happen to have any pics of this design??? :confused:

I have worked for some places that keep a scrapbook in the customer area but the fake muffler would not be a part of the book.I did 6 in fakes for 5in when CO and OK were writing no muffler tickets, the word just kind of spread locally, when I drove they were to loud so I put in a cresent baffle - still to loud so put the same in the other end. Made it ok for me. Then we got some smaller diesels, Toroflow, 3208 and a Dutze and when the exhaust needed help they got fakes, the 3208 was a non turbo so it got 3 partial baffles, cresents in the ends and a straight in the middle. I used 2 foot long because the parts house stocked 2, 4 and 10 foot exhaust pipe and after asking a couple of times the kept adapters 3 to 6 in sizes. Much better than notching the end of the larger pipe to transition with a lot more welding.Last one was about 6 years ago for a Detroit in a Freightliner Classic that the baflles broke loose inside, 5 in SS elbows from the tee underneath, 1 foot SS male to female, galv adapter 5 to 7 in, 3 foot of 7 in galv with 2 baffles on the ends, 5 to 7 in adapter and SS stacks. All galv full welded and the welds painted galv color. Over 100 lbs weight savings. Behind the heatshields it looks the same as the muffler.I have given thought to building a 4 in for mine, still have a little 5 in around, but the exhaust on mine is nearly new when I bought the truck. The current cost for the parts to go 4 in from the turbo is $20 less than the stock system shipped from Rockauto but there is about 3 hours fab time to put the 4 in togather.I will likewise have to learn to upload pictures, I have a $20 camera that I did get pictures to the screen on the last computer but have not had occasion to try on SUSE 10. OS. Not much interest, but the 4 in exhaust would make a good 'how to' with nearly all 'out of the bin' parts from any HD truck parts house. The security video cameras work well with SUSE, might have to make an extension cord to use one of them to get pictures.keydl

• 3 weeks later...

There are no sensors on the 06 5.9 maybe you are thinking of the new 6.7 ??? They have a bunch of sensors to keep DIY's from touching it. I removed the muffler but left the cat on mine. Its a little louder then I would like but it is not bad. You will not see much of any benefit from doing this unless you do something with the air intake also. You may pick up 1 or 2 mpg if you are lucky and your egts will drop 50 - 100 degrees from what they run with the muffler.