• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clapping coming from exhaust

So the truck has been doing this since I bought it I’ve pulled injectors and cleaned them up a little and resealed I’ve changed the fuel hose from Lp to Ip and installed a fp gauge the truck holds 40psi at idle and goes down slightly at wot any advice on what to check next I know the truck shouldn’t sound like that 

You can hear the noise I’m talking about in the beginning of the video I posted to me it sounds like it’s missing but i don’t know this is the first diesel I’ve owned.  I’ve looked on every forum I can think of and can’t come up with nothing two of my buddy’s have 24vs their trucks sound smooth at idle mine sounds choppy and the noise follows the rpms until it shifts to od and then it’s not really noticeable. It seems to be worse on cold starts and it’s a ***** to get started unless you have it plugged up 

Is this a early sign of the injectors going bad? the noise seems to be getting louder the longer i have the truck. It dose haze some white smoke when I’m sitting at a redlight or when I first start it but everyone I’ve talked to said that was normal for a 12v but I’ve never heard one have choppy exhaust like this one 

Have you checked valve lash?  Have you verified that each intake and exhaust valve are making their full travel?  How many miles on the engine?  How many miles on the injectors?  Are they stock injectors?  What is the history of the truck? 

Your video does not play for me.

- John

• Like 1

• Owner
16 hours ago, Tractorman said:

Have you checked valve lash?  Have you verified that each intake and exhaust valve are making their full travel?  How many miles on the engine?  How many miles on the injectors?  Are they stock injectors?  What is the history of the truck? 

Your video does not play for me.

- John

:iagree: Need more info...

The truck has 210k and as far is I know there stock injectors the guy I bought the truck off of didn’t really give me any information on the truck.  The only thing he told me was he took it to a shop and had it turned down a little and put a stock turbo back on it when he got it so I could only assume he put stock injectors back in it as well. The only thing I’ve done to the truck since I’ve owned it is move the fuel plate and afc housing foward it does have stock fuel plate. I haven’t checked valve lash or anything like that I thought maybe I was getting air in the fuel because the old fuel hose was dry rotted but I changed it and the noise didn’t get better. The truck runs good it has plenty of power but sounds like crap at idle and it’s getting worse the longer it goes on. I checked today and 2 of the injectors are leaking around the nut on the base of the injectors could this cause it to have a choppy sound?