• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

started my ball joint replacment

I started my ball joint replacement today. It took a while to find the 1-11/16 socket. All the sears around me were out of them and the parts stores wanted 40$+. I am down to removing the Hubs. I tried the socket and power steering trick to no avail. Sledge hammer did not work either. Hubs have had a daily dose of PB blaster since Wednesday. Going to try a portapower tomorrow. I think I can get in to bite on the outer C. any other suggestions? Any homemade hub pullers? Do the Hub pullers push on the axle shaft? I have searched both forum and could not find much.

Thanks

Eric

When you say hubs, are you meaning where the wheel bearings are that have 4 bolts holding them on?:shrug: Like this: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PRE1/515062.oap?year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Ram%2B2500%2BPickup&vi=1400072&keyword=wheel+bearings+%26+seals&pt=03338&ppt=C0337 Just wanting to make sure we are on the same page first. A big hammer is what I've used in the past. They can be rusted on there and be a pita to get off!!!:banghead:

When you say hubs, are you meaning where the wheel bearings are that have 4 bolts holding them on?:shrug: Like this: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PRE1/515062.oap?year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Ram%2B2500%2BPickup&vi=1400072&keyword=wheel+bearings+%26+seals&pt=03338&ppt=C0337 Just wanting to make sure we are on the same page first. A big hammer is what I've used in the past. They can be rusted on there and be a pita to get off!!!:banghead:

yep the wheel bearings Hubs and yes I have the 4 bolts removed.

You are giving me some bad flashback episodes.... I just did mine in June and yes it was a huge pain. I ended up using a brass drift and a sledge and beat on the heads of the 4 bolts like the manual describes. I then had to heat up the spindle with an oxy/ acetylene torch and worked it over for a couple hours a side. I ended up buying 8 new bolts for the hubs at the dealer after it was all over @ $6 ea You might consider a hub puller with a big side hammer, I wish I would have gone that route, but I did not think of it at the time. Check this out http://quad4x4.com/4x4%20Tools.htm#QT1037 post-10110-138698169283_thumb.jpg You might be able to get or make this tool, and use it with 10# slide hammer.... Good luck, Chris

yep the wheel bearings Hubs and yes I have the 4 bolts removed.

i started to make a puller (kids wanted to come inside) i dont have a big enought piece of steel to grab 4 studs, so i hope only two will work as for the BP i have been soaking it every chance i get. i realy dont want to wast what i have left in heat for the hubs i my need it for the ball joints. i am hoping the puller and a sledge hammer will work. besides i have Kids i love sledge hammers:banghead:

I am done what a PIA. I used the Ball joint press from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W89304/ it made the u-joint change a lot easier too.

Things I have learned.

1) Make sure you have the right parts before you leave the parts store and that all the clips, dust shields and fittings are in the both boxes.

2) When changing ball joints if the hubs were never changed before. Plan on getting U-joints, Hubs and upper and lower ball joints, Dust shield. Look at your CAD fork too you may need a new one. How are your rotors and pads?

Thanks to all who did write ups on this they helped a lot.

The hub freezes to the knuckle after a period of time. A popular way to remove it is to loosen the bolts and then use a socket on the hub bolts and extension pressed up against something hard and immobile on the axle while turning the steering. Remember if you go this route, easy does it just a bit at a time. Rotate around the bolts until it is free.If the axle splines are frozen in the hub you can get a large 3 jaw puller from your favorite import tool store for cheap (after all you will probably not use it again anyway.) I actually have one that I had to use on a Dodge Dakota and it has been used many times without failure, just make sure you oil the threads. Soak it well in PB Blaster first. Remember that if they are frozen really bad there is the possibility of separating the hub which would require a replacement hub.