• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No power when cold

I have a 2001 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 4x4 with an auto trans. When I start off in the morning I have to wait till the heat hand moves to leave the drive way. If i start off before that i have no power or speed. The truck does no smoke, use oil, or have any codes. It is not cold outside in the morning about 70 degrees f so i don't believe it needs pluged in. after it hits 190 degrees it runs strong. I am also fine all day as long as its driven ever so often. I did put a new lift pump on it and didn't help. Need help please...Thanks,

I wonder if it has to do with the auto trans. My ford wouldn't do anything in the mornings until the trans got warm enough. You might set the parking brake and put it in neutral and it should warm the trans up faster. But it sounds like it is toast if it is 70F and won't do anything. Does it just kinda free rev when it is in drive?

I'm thinking a TC issue or possibly even fluid issue.When did you last service tranny ? What was fluid color like and any debree in pan ?? I generally have o slightly overfill my tranny. I wonder if your tranny fluid has to warm up in order for the line pressure to generate enough to engage the 1st gear.

The fuel pressure is 13 at idle and not sure about wot. it ha a new lift pump on it. Not sure on the trans service but the past owner said he put a new trans and tcase alittle over a year ago and fluid looks and smells good. Today on the way home from work i let it sit all day and not drive it. so it was cold and had no heat in the morning. I left work and same thing but i kept the peddle about half throttle and was running about 20 mph and when the heat hand started to move it felt like i floored it and it took off like it should and i was only at half throttle. How about IAT sensor or the screen on the heater part of the intake, was talking to an old diesel mechanic and he told me to clean these and see if it helps.

The fuel pressure is 13 at idle and not sure about wot. it ha a new lift pump on it. Not sure on the trans service but the past owner said he put a new trans and tcase alittle over a year ago and fluid looks and smells good. Today on the way home from work i let it sit all day and not drive it. so it was cold and had no heat in the morning. I left work and same thing but i kept the peddle about half throttle and was running about 20 mph and when the heat hand started to move it felt like i floored it and it took off like it should and i was only at half throttle. How about IAT sensor or the screen on the heater part of the intake, was talking to an old diesel mechanic and he told me to clean these and see if it helps.

Here's mikes line for the IAT - its pretty simple. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/iat-sensor/iat-sensor.htm No idea why the engine temp would impact the throttle reponse - sure there are many reasons :shrug: Unsure if the IAT could cause you to lose that much throttle/fuel ...... but easy to clean

Update on my truck,I have cleaned the IAT Sensor, but was still white with 198k, I did clean it anyway.I did the tps Sensor reset (1 hour battery disconnect and compressed and decompress the petal several time)Installed a new airtex lift pump. has 15psi idle, I need to purchase a inside gauge soon.I have started putting 2 stroke oil in the fuel and seems to help the most.Were is the MAP sensor ?Now when I start my truck in the morning it takes off fine and in about 1/4 mile it acts like it looses power and has a no throttle and in about 1/2 mile later it picks back up and drives normal. Then every once in a while when I am driving in overdrive at 55 MPH it does it again but this time it is warm and I can push the petal to the floor and it come out of overdrive and takes off, but doesn't do this when the OD button off. Can I clean the MAP sensor and will that help?Can I clean the two bango type bolts that go to the vp44?The truck has new fuel filter also, trans is serviced and full.Any help would be great, Thanks

• 3 weeks later...