• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Losing power? Cutting out?

On 4/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, ColoradoColt said:

so far this morning it’s driving like normal.

Glad you got it all ironed out and it's running good again. I don't run too high of RPM without warmed engine so can't say if that's normal or not.

• Owner
On 4/27/2021 at 7:59 AM, ColoradoColt said:

I do notice still under moderate to heavy throttle it cuts out a little until warmed up. 

Cutting out isn't normal... Any error codes? What your fuel pressure like as well?

Even my setup with the Quadzilla and the 7 x 0.010 injectors with warm up mode I'm limited to 80% stock fuel but I can use full WOT throttle without cutting out or loss of power for the most part. Just out of thought I would consider the PSG on the VP44 is problem at this point being as it warms up the problem leaves. Sad to say you'll end up replacing the VP44 to get a new PSG. The only thing I can think of mechanical is the injectors but typically it creates a misfire as it warms up typically. Your is doing it till it warms up.

On 3/31/2021 at 11:25 AM, ColoradoColt said:

Okay, I don’t know much about electrical but I’ll give it a shot when I get my ecm back from being tested. I replaced my trans output speed sensor and it fixed my problem shifting from 1-2 in the mornings. 

Im still unsure if it’s Ecm or Electrical at all, only because it’s fine once I get up to speed for a little bit. Then it’s fine for the rest of the day. I noticed a couple months back I was hauling some horses and I had to cross  a wash with some deep sand and the back end just dropped, I tried 4wd and was still stuck, so I unloaded the horse and had to back up a little and pretty much floor it out the other 20 feet. I noticed when reaching between 2600-3000 rpm it sounded like a miss fire, the rpms dropped when it sounded like it, and blows a little white smoke. It seems like it de fuels for a second before jumping right back where it was. Could this be an injection pump issue? I don’t usually get that high rpms often  but when I have to it does the same thing. I only wonder about the Vp because I think I’ve read some people saying that the temp of the injection pump it’s self could be causing the issues? 

"It seems like it de fuels for a second before jumping right back where it was. Could this be an injection pump issue?" That sounds exactly like the injection pump. Mine did the same thing when I lost my OEM VP44. It would also go into limp mode as yours is doing. I lived with it for ~1 year and had it changed out just before losing warranty. My guess would be you're looking at a new VP44

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Not always but some PSG issues on the VP44 will show up without codes sometimes. White smoke is a timing issues there should be error codes present... P0216, or P1689, or P1688...

If your got over 100k to 150k on the current injectors you might think of getting tested or replaced. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why I didn’t get any notifications about this. I miss spoke when I said it does it until warmed up, even when coolant temps have reached 190° it will still do it. I have to drive for at least 20-30 mins for it to stop, and it will only drive normal again if I shut off the truck after that 30 min and back on. It does blow white/grey smoke when it’s driving bad, and black or none when it’s driving normal. I have no codes when this happens. Just a random check gauges light flashing every few minutes and rpm and speedometer will switch between working and not working. Sounds like timing changes or something when the rpm gauge drops to 0. Only reason I also suspect vp44 or just the psg is to my knowledge it is stock. So that’s 350,000+ miles. I know for a fact it has at least 200,000 on it 

Also the injectors have about 30,000 only. Fuel pressure is about 18 idle and 16 under any load 

• Owner

I would go read up on the P1698 code and do some diagnostics on the CCD Bus.

10 hours ago, ColoradoColt said:

It does blow white/grey smoke when it’s driving bad,

White smoke is a timing issue. Should be a P0216 code coming soon. 

10 hours ago, ColoradoColt said:

Just a random check gauges light flashing every few minutes and rpm and speedometer will switch between working and not working.

Speed is from the ABS module. The Check Gage light might be from loss of the CCD bus from the ECM as well since the cluster computer didn't get any info it drops out of range on the gauges and tripping the light. Remember the PCM creates the CCD bus messages and the cluster is what provides the bias voltage for the CCD bus. 

Bus Failure

The CCD data bus can be monitored using the DRBIII scan tool. However, it is possible for the data bus to pass all tests since the voltage parameters will be in “range“ and false signals are being sent. There are essentially 12 “hard failures“ that can occur with the CCD data bus:

• Bus Shorted to Battery
  • Bus Shorted to 5 Volts
  • Bus Shorted to Ground
  • Bus (+) Shorted to Bus (–)
  • Bus (–) and Bus (+) Open
  • Bus (+) Open
  • Bus (–) Open
  • No Bus Bias
  • Bus Bias Level Too High
  • Bus Bias Level Too Low
  • No Bus Termination
  • Not Receiving Bus Messages Correctly

Refer to the appropriate diagnostic procedures for details on how to diagnose these faults using a DRBIII scan tool.

image.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1