• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Snow Plows and plowing, in general: Discussions

I've got a plow for my '01 2500 QCSB, but haven't installed it yet.. It's a listed weight of 650# (8ft poly). I'm about to put a 2" leveling kit on this week. I've got 200# of ballast for the bed (suggested by plow manufacture, to be placed 8" from tailgate, inside the bed), but I'm curious as to what else I need to look into, prior to hitching up..Suggestions?

• Owner

Little bit of information for my wanderings... Well what I can tell you is the front axle will be near it Gross Weight Rating... So keeping an eye on steering parts is in order. (Ball joints, tierods, etc). I heard tell tale stories of overheat issues with the blade in the full up position. Some will suggest to drop the blade just a little from the top so the air can pass over the top to aid in cooling. I've seen spoilers that mount to the top of the blade to aid in air movement over the blade. But wonder how that will last when you might be shoving some large amounts of snow and ice. Little secret I found at least for my truck is if you soften your tire pressures slightly to add just a bit more belly to the tire it will aid in traction. The only thing I got to compare ot that is my neighbors ATV with a blade which I use to blade my yard and his every winter. So I understand the concept but on a smaller scale...

Thanks. Odd thing is, I've looked into that, and seems all the 'front' airbag kits I find state "2 wheel drive".. LOL(psst.. I'd like to hear/read more on your GDP Walbro GSL392 regulator setup) I've got a big Bosch inline pump, but it produces crazy head pressure if not regulated/returned, as it's designed for Mechanical FI cars (944t, etc.) cars. )

Thanks. Odd thing is, I've looked into that, and seems all the 'front' airbag kits I find state "2 wheel drive".. LOL (psst.. I'd like to hear/read more on your GDP Walbro GSL392 regulator setup) I've got a big Bosch inline pump, but it produces crazy head pressure if not regulated/returned, as it's designed for Mechanical FI cars (944t, etc.) cars. )

The fellow to contact about the LP set-up I have is Richard Martin. He doesn't sell these systems any longer, but he's a fountain of knowledge. If you've got something in mind, contact him. He's a regular guy and will help you for sure. His website........http://www.glacierdieselpower.com

Hello, I added a set of Timbrens to my truck up front it helps. I run a 7.5 Western steel blade Uni mount on my 98.5. Heres a link to them. Good Luck. John http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2951

Thanks, John. Do you happen to have a pic of them on yours? I know it's pretty self-explanatory, as the provisions for these already exist on the front end. But how does it react with the plow on? Does the suspension sit on these? If so, how's the ride, at that point? Having never seen the Timbrens IRL, I dunno how the clearances are, loaded and/or empty. Regards,

Yea, our members at letsplow are some well weathered veterans of the industry.They call'em like they see them. Not much gets candy coated.But they will help you and give some of the best advice when it comes to plowing snow.The ribbing and what not, could be seen by an outsider as not being very inviting. True, but this is because many of us have known each other for years. We give each other some good old "_sh1t___" (ribbing) this may come off as gruff or intimidating to a newbie. (free speech) & (people who speak freely) (frank business men)As you have found out it is hard to find air bags for the front of a 4x4, they are starting to make air/shocks but remember the shock mount was not ment to support weight.Timbrens are a good choice, I use them front and rear.Counter weight should be place at the tailgate. I use around #400=500lbs plus a sno-blower.With the timbrens, with out the plow they do not come into play unless you hit a big bump.With the plow the front will be much firmer and it will help control any bouncing.I looked in the Dodge forum and saw nothing?I looked at your profile and you didn't even ask a question.How about you give us a chance before you diss on us?Summer is our slow time , things will pick us as winter approaches but we still have plenty of active members who can help.If you give us a chance I'll give you an easy tip to make installing your timbrens an snap or very easy. Not that it's very hard but some still have problems. Thanks Sno~Ps in my changing the font springs thread you can see the timbren installed.

I wasn't giving the forum a bad name, nor did I have any intention of doing so. Was just stating what I seemed to read/notice there.I have registered, but more in a lurking fashion, for now. I tend to use the search capabilities, prior to asking, in case it's been asked numerous times over. :cool:I'm thick-skinned. I have to be, or else all this fat would pour out everywhere :)Same as here: Rogan

Cool,I don't mind if you slam me,:thumbup2:But give the guys a chance, I realize that we are not everyone's cup of tea but you'll find our members are some of the industry leaders and we have a few who own snow-plow dealerships and guys with years of experience.Are you just plowing your own drive or do you intend on plowing for a little extra $$?Or ask right here at Mike's place.:thumbup2: Good luck and have a snowy winter.

Cool, I don't mind if you slam me,:thumbup2: But give the guys a chance, I realize that we are not everyone's cup of tea but you'll find our members are some of the industry leaders and we have a few who own snow-plow dealerships and guys with years of experience. Are you just plowing your own drive or do you intend on plowing for a little extra $$? Or ask right here at Mike's place.:thumbup2: Good luck and have a snowy winter.

again, not slamming you at all. I probably fit it there better than I'm verbalizing, to be honest. I don't like to sugar-coat anything, and I (more often than not) tell it like I see it. :tongue:

Hello. Sorry, I don't have any pics. I'll try to get some. I'm currently cleaning up the plow and getting ready to repaint and install wings. They do help as stated. They help, as we know how heavy or engines are. With the plows on the trucks. Other wise they work good and worth the money.

:moon:A good sense of humor and the capability to decipher sarcasm is also helpful.As for over heating unless your running down the road with it raised all the way up it shouldn't be an issue. If the heat does raise, down shif if you can and lower the plow and angel it away from the air intake this seams to help or try an air defelector, I've never seen one(other than pics) or used one in 33years.The newer trucks seam to sit higher so the radiator can get some air over the top of the blade if you travel with it as close to the ground as you fell comfortable. It'll shoot a shower of sparks if you scrape the road at speed.:thumb1:

I didnt read the entire thread so I reply to the first post I run a c7.5 with a e60 pump on my truck I used a leveling kit from top gunz off ebay it works great I never use any weight in the bed NOTHING bed is always empty ( except for snow or some empty coffe cups ) truck handles fine on highway or local roads never had an issue actually I think i like the truck better with the extra weight up front it feels more planted try www.plowsite.com very good place to start reading