• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing-new injectors and quad

• Owner
1 hour ago, Threadzy said:

Repeating what Tractorman said. You’re leaving a lot  of Hp and even more torque on the table with only 20psi of boost. You’re HX35 should map out at about 32 lbs of boost. If you don’t have one yet you need a boost elbow or a spring and turn buckle to hold the wastegate closed till 30-32 lbs.

Roughly speaking for every 1 PSI of boost will give roughly ~10 HP of power so HX35W could be ran at 35 PSI of boost easy slightly out of the map but still workable. Like my HX35/40 Hybrid is the same exhaust housing as stock with the same turbine. But the compressor is HX40 wheel. Stronger turbo than the HX40. 35 PSI is roughly ~350 HP. Otherr factors in volved again tires size, gear ratio, final ratio of the transmission, final ratio to the ground with tires, injector size, pop pressure of the injector, tuner, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Roughly speaking for every 1 PSI of boost will give roughly ~10 HP of power so HX35W could be ran at 35 PSI of boost easy slightly out of the map but still workable. Like my HX35/40 Hybrid is the same exhaust housing as stock with the same turbine. But the compressor is HX40 wheel. Stronger turbo than the HX40. 35 PSI is roughly ~350 HP. Otherr factors in volved again tires size, gear ratio, final ratio of the transmission, final ratio to the ground with tires, injector size, pop pressure of the injector, tuner, etc. 

You wanna sell me your turbo and get a new one? Bc mine is coming off today. 

My truck tows most of the time from a 7klb ish work trailer with tools/welders/bottles in the bed to a 34ft 5th

Stock injectors, stock turbo, 315 tyres, 3.55's, 47re, mechanical lift pump, cat fuel filter and housing and a Quad, with my work trailer on checked on a weighbridge it's a total of 14300lbs truck and trailer, this was without my mig, generator and cutting bottles in the bed

I never have a problem towing, I just lock out OD whenever I'm towing no matter what the grade or road, ends up at about 2100rpm at 55 to 60, EGT's aren't high, coolant and trans temps all ok.  Yes I'll admit grades in the UK are mostly less than yours

Quad has a towing tune on it I got from here, I use it on LVL9 of 9 never messed with tuning as I do not have the time to spend or more to the point I have other things to spend time on first, and for now I'm happy with it.

I'm due injectors but really don't want to make a bad choice and mess up what is a nice towing truck

I don't drive hard and why would I in a truck that's 24 years old and has to run everyday, I don't need or want 500hp due to a stock 47re 

• Like 1

I agree. I don’t need 500hp either…I really don’t need 350hp I don’t think. I’ve never been disappointed with how the truck tows in basically stock form, but if I can get a little more reliable top end power I’m all for it. The main reason for the 7x.010’s is the guys that have spent time researching and testing seem to agree that’s the best injector paired with the quad. I’m still a little concerned with all of the stuff I’ve read about pop pressure lowering after a few thousand miles. I don’t know anything about that stuff but I wish I could get 300K out of a set like I have my oem injectors. 

I'd go 7 x 10's but my trans is stock so I'm sitting on the fence for now while I spread a layer of thought on it

If pop pressure is set at the very high end of the specs then as the injectors settle in then it doesn't drop below the minimum. 320bar ish versus 290 bar IIRC

Thing that bothers me a little being in the UK is high PP equals a harder life for the VP as that's one item I do not want wear out, but arguably our fuel is better so who knows 

In you situation I would have got the quad first, loaded a towing tune for stock off of here on it, stuck that on Level 9 and see what you thought and if you felt you needed more then do the rest.

• Like 1