• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what kind and where do you get a front timing cover gasket?do you ude silicone?now....what all do i remove to do this ?got oil leak from the front somewhere and the starter is oily and the ps. pump is oily it hate that...whatever....don't rag on it and stuff leaks...picture would be helpful if not just some words.got to remove the bed previous owner had an aux. tank in the back ran the hose down into the side of the filler hose..they took the tank out and left a piece of hose with a bolt in it and super glued around the hose into hose..filled up this morning...leaking on the ground....:mad:...the song by kevin fowler..pound sign....

• Owner

As far as I know there is no gasket for the front cover and most people just silcone the cover on. As for removal... Fan belt, fan and pulley, crank damper and pulley... So that should get you at it... Knowing the filler neck is steel I would remove it find a piece of copper pipe and soldier a patch over the hole in the filter neck. I done this kind of patch work on steel fuel tanks when the owner got over zealous and drilled into the fuel tank. :rolleyes: (Not me!)

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm I use this and it really works well.Also you need a crankshaft seal.Get the one that comes with the install tool.I went with a cummins seal.If you have a boat load of miles, i would remove one bolt at a time on the housing and red lock tight them to factory torque specs.Also check kdp

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

I use this and it really works well.Also you need a crankshaft seal.Get the one that comes with the install tool.I went with a cummins seal.If you have a boat load of miles, i would remove one bolt at a time on the housing and red lock tight them to factory torque specs.Also check kdp[ dude thank you alot..never thought about kdp..cuz i thought it was in the earlier years.so call cummins and order a front crank seal..not completely understanding you..ask from the one with an install tool or kit?you happen to have a part number for that?

--- Update to the previous post...

I have never used that on the front cover.The bummer part with 'right stuff' is the cost.I dont know how the other stuff would work.I think the trick is the set up time.I let all my rtv/rs set up a little before i install the part.I have used rtv on my rear diff cover with no leaks.

i called cummins in wichita yesterday and got the price for the seal/tool installer kit....$32.95...man..would have thought it was more expensive than that..i am not complaining at all.and...the tube of r.t.v. that the folks out in the shop use is grey..he said that is what is used for sealing of parts with heat and oil behind it...$14.95:thumbup2:

the tube of r.t.v. that the folks out in the shop use is grey..he said that is what is used for sealing of parts with heat and oil behind it...$14.95:thumbup2:

i used the gray on my rangers trans. the tube said HIGH TEMP/HIGH TORQUE(whereas the red is just high temp). if memory serves the gray was rated to 600F and the red was 650. when i changed the fluid in my Dana 80, it didn't have a gasket. just red rtv. you have to let it set or "skin" before you put the cover on