• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Vent?

So im driving down the road with no heat and windows up. Its cool out but nice, all the sudden Im feeling air, I check the ac vents and air is blowing through them. I rotate the knobs to try and stop it and its constant air flow. What happen? I bought a new vacuum line 3 weeks ago, the line from the pump to the passenger side of dash. Its all of the sudden outside air blowing through the dash vents. This is really going to mess up the ac on a hot day.

What was your ventilation setting before the air started coming out of the vents? 

If you lose your main vacuum supply, then all the air flow will default to the defrosters, so it sounds like you have something else going on.  Possibly a vacuum line came off of the mode door for directing air to the floor, dash, or defrosters.

- John

1 hour ago, jlwelding said:

This is really going to mess up the ac on a hot day.

It won't cool the cab as fast as the recirculation mode, but the AC system should easily keep your cab cool, even bringing in outside air.

Been a bit since I was in there last but I think its just a glove box pull to get to that actuator..

Also, the only thing that can stop fresh air coming in is the recirc door right? Otherwise there isn't any true "off" setting as far as I'm aware of..

When you put the selector into "off" does it actually shut everything off? 

There are eight positions on the ventilation switch.  @jlweldingneeds to give more information about the ventilation settings and where the airflow was going before the sudden change occurred, otherwise we are shooting in the dark trying to help him.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

In the off position it comes through the ac vents in the dash. I pulled the glove box and Im finding things like the heater core is exposed at the top. Im pretty sure it should be  enclosed. The flap at the blower motor has a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom like it was broke off or something is missing. 

Ok then the heater core is ok. I swore it was covered. I looked into it closer today and it looks like someone took a dremel to it and cut away at the bottom of the housing making a gap between the black plastic housing and the white door. Strange. I still dont think the gap under the door is letting air in, must be a motor out or something. Its no doubt fresh air blowing through the vents.
Thanks for the help.