• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Article - AirDog Draw Straw Installation

• Owner

AirDog Draw Straw installation

You will need a 15mm socket and 1/2 ratchet for the bands on the tank. You'll also need a flat blade screwdriver, hammer, floor jack, and a ratchet strap. The way I remove the fuel tank is to place the jack under the tank just to support the weight. Then wrap a ratchet strap around the fuel tank and hook it to the jack pivot pin. Tighten the strap lightly not enough to crush the tank. You need to take a screwdriver and hammer and lightly tap on the sender ring and loosen the ring up to allow the sender to stand up out of the fuel tank. No need to unhook any lines leave that alone for now. Now using a 15mm socket you can remove the two nuts holding the fuel tank bands up to the frame. Pull your bands down and might have to bend them a bit to get out. Then easy the fuel tank down to the floor slowly and carefully to the floor watching the sender not to damage the fuel, sender in the tank, Once the tank is on the floor the sender can be lifted out of the fuel tank and the fuel tank moved out of your way.

NOTE: You'll want to have a friend or buddy help you tip the tank over and dump the fuel out of the tank. The tank needs to be empty as much as possible to get the measurement correct.

The current AirDog Draw Straw is different than the older generation I have in my truck. Make sure to support the tank at the normal band locations with 2x4 boards.

WARNING: Do not leave the tank laying on the floor for measuring or any work it will deflect the tank bottom inward and skew your measurements also will create the 1/4 tank slosh issues!

This now requires a 1-inch hole drilled into the top of the tank. You will need to inspect the location of where you're going to install that draw straw and be sure there is nothing going to interfere with the lines or the bulkhead sticking up. Make sure to clean the area where you are going to drill the 1-inch hole. Now drill the hole and collect all the drilled crumbs without getting into the tank if possible, Grab two quarters and lay them in the bottom, and stack the straw on top of the quarters. Now using a Sharpie mark the straw at the top of the tank. Now you want to measure from the bulkhead down to your mark and take note of that measurement, Now measure from the tip back up to the same measurement and mark the cut line.

NOTE: If you are using 1 quarter you want to follow the AirDog method of holes drilled in the straw. If you use 2 quarters then no notches should be required.

WARNING: Cut the straw "straight". Do NOT cut the straw at an angle or anything else but straight. 

When the straw is cut now place the sealing washer on the bulkhead and install the draw straw. The flat washer, star washer, and nut go inside to nut the straw in. You'll want to check the gap in the straw tip to the tank bottom should be the same as the number of coins you used for the gap. The closer the better for the tip. No, the tip will not suck to the bottom, the weight of the fuel will deflect the bottom downward making more of a gap when filled. This is why closer is better. Now just install your fitting into the bulkhead connector. Now you can reinstall the fuel tank which is super easy being the fuel tank is empty and light to lift up by a single person. Just reverse the process.

View full Cummins article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Owner

I know my camera work needs some improvement but I'm learning as quickly as a can to keep pumping videos and articles out. Hopefully this will help other install a draw straw the right way and stopping the 1/4 tank slosh issues. I've got to finish up the install of the AirDog. There will be another article on the custom install of the pump and bracket for this truck it will not be a standard install at all being the truck is not a stock fit and finish truck so this will be another article and video coming very soon. 

• Owner

More common than you think. :rolleyes:

This is why I made the video and showed how I've been doing it all these years without any issues. 

6 minutes ago, jlwelding said:

Yes I screwed this up, I didnt like the holes I drilled and got frustrated and wacked it off at an angle. I'll probably run out at a 1/4 tank.

You should NEVER cut the straw at a angle it will cause more issues than its worth. It should always be cut straight. PERIOD. If I was going to notch it I cut it straight then notch with a grinder really easy and not more than 1/8 of inch deep.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I do have a strange surge when its cold in the morning. I did so much at once with the 165 airdog, vp44, new injectors with crossover orings that I just been keeping a eye on it to see where its coming from. As soon as the eng. warms up its gone so not to much of a bother. But I often thought about the draw straw, I need to do it right.

@jlwelding That does sound like possible minor air leak. If goes away warm, probably not straw..

Good video! My FASS was about 8 years ago, always had this problem. Hills or hard cornering would do it too. Im always a bit stressed when gets to about 1/3.

My 150 failed and started leaking externally recently. Tried to rebuild but the bearing and seals are proprietary? Mark against Fass there. Has same blue hose I see with the airdog. Mines all surface cracked at this point bad. Ive replaced the runs I could reach with marine hose. Another reason for me to drop tank to fix. 

One other plus! I kept my original fuel pump, and added additional set of fittings for it. If the fass goes out again, I can use the OEM pump to limp home.

Keep the articles coming! :thumbup2:

• Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, SVALIN said:

Has same blue hose I see with the airdog.

Nope. AirDog I've got sitting in the shop is all new updated black hose rated for bio-diesel and no longer has that cracking hose jacket issue. 

1 hour ago, SVALIN said:

My 150 failed and started leaking externally recently. Tried to rebuild but the bearing and seals are proprietary?

Same with AirDog and Raptor as well. But if you got your warranty card filled in and sent in then there is lifetime warranty and they will send you a new pump head.

1 hour ago, SVALIN said:

Keep the articles coming! :thumbup2:

Thanks... I will.

1 hour ago, Andyba20 said:

These videos are a giant leap for M1973M, really great stuff. Thanks for doing this.

Thank you as well. I'll keep doing what I can.