• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99’ 24v Alternator Went Bad, Possibly Fried PCM/ECM/VP44?

Thank you all for the info. I guess my first time on this site is not off to a good start. I installed a new alternator today, replaced the connector, and bought 2 new batteries today. I plan on installing new batteries tomorrow. Then fire it up without the output wire being hooked up and see how many volts I have, I think I should not hook up the intake heater as well. The reason I'm concerned is I don't know why it cooked so I don't want to cook the new one.

• Like 1

• Staff

Don't forget to install the fuse between the alternator and PCM in the blue wire to protect the PCM from damage.  This is the article to read and use to help with the installation.   

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/electrical/alternator-and-pcm-protection-r617/

59 minutes ago, Nomad2015 said:

Thank you all for the info. I guess my first time on this site is not off to a good start...

Its all good.  I know what it's like to have you your truck out of commission and waiting for some input.  You sound like you're on the right track though so keep us posted.  Also, I think that is a good idea to keep the grid heater disconnected till you figure that issue out too. 

Edited by hdpwipmonkey