• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ranger axle carrier removal?

Sycostang67

My friend has a 1990 Ranger with the 7.5" rear axle.  We recently grabbed and installed another 7.5" axle from a 1990 ranger that had a Trac-loc in it from the junk yard.  He wanted a little more traction as it's his winter driver.  He even got bigger rear brakes and some 3:73 gears in the deal.  We changed the fluid with some Castrol 80w-90 for LS rear ends.  The truck drove fine on the test drive and got my friend home but now he says it's starting to make grinding noises.  I plan on adding a bottle of LS additive even though I thought the Castrol already had some, the Royal Purple I put in my mustang did and I haven't had any issues.  If the Trac-loc needs to be rebuilt, will I need to do anything special regarding the carrier installation?  I assume if I retorque everything and use the same shims in the same spaces it should be fine.  Normally he would have had a shop install a new LS device but his wife in interning right now and money is tight.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well we kind of got lucky, it turns out you can rebuild the Trac-loc with the carrier still installed.  We were gonna put new outer bearings and seals in as well but every part my friend ordered was wrong.  I hooked him up with the proper bearings and seals from work but he had to reorder the clutch kit from some where else.  He should have the kit by this weekend.  

• Like 1