• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Pump Mount Orientation

Finally moving my Raptor FRRP to the frame rail. Using the Vulcan mounting bracket. Does it matter which direction the pump hangs? Not meaning vertical vs horizontal, but can the bracket be flipped so the pump “rests” on the bracket as opposed to hangs from it? 

It really shouldn't matter as long as you have serviceability access once it's mounted in the selected location. The location should provide protection from road debris to prevent damage. Recently, I had observed a fellow in Redding CA where he had mounted his after market transfer pump assembly fully exposed. I laughed thinking this character must want everyone to see his work...in fact, it was on display with both filters hanging down in full view. I wonder how long it will be before it's damaged or someone steals it...after all...it is "on display". :rolleyes:

Cheers,

W-T 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the info guys. I’m trying to keep it tucked in pretty high and just behind the crossmember because I’m  planning on installing an auxiliary trans cooler before next summer and want to mount the cooler behind the pump to avoid blowing hot air on the pump. I found a factory hole (5/8 or so) on the frame just behind the crossmember on my LWB. My plan is to bore one of the holes on the Vulcan bracket from 5/16 to 5/8 and mount it using the factory hole with a grade 8 5/8 bolt and nylon locking nut plus loctite. I think I’d prefer this vs drilling in the frame which the Vulcan kit says to do. So I’d have 1 big bolt vs 3 small ones.

• Staff

I made this bracket out of sheet metal from an old road sign and mounted a Carter "campaign" fuel pump with an added fuel filter.  It is mounted to the frame using self-taping sheet metal screws and fender washers.  This was done 11 years ago.

40702970_8-22-11HAWKANDENGINE012.jpg.409a268e98b1b3d74545ef48e3def470.jpg

1529457802_8-22-11HAWKANDENGINE014.jpg.4fabd53fe87cff35d0abb377fbb7abe7.jpg

When I installed the Fuel Boss pump this Airtex pump was fitted to the bracket as a backup pump that has been used to prime the fuel system when work is done on it.  The bracket is still on the truck.

DSCN0018.JPG.cc2e33410fe988d09b5e6a6bc0a7c362.JPG

• Like 1