• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tappet Cover Opinions

I’ve had a small slow leak from the Tappet cover for a long time. My plan was to wait until my VP bit the dust and do everything at once, but my VP keeps humming along and the leak has gotten much worse over the past 2 months. I’m thinking about getting the billet Tappet cover from Keating (they are local to me). The reason why is because folks seem to have a higher success rate with the billet covers, and I really don’t want to have to do this twice, especially in the winter. Mike’s write up on replacing the gasket is great, but I’m not a professional mechanic like Mike is. Am I being too paranoid, or is the extra $200 worth getting the billet cover and increasing my chances of a successful replacement? 

Not that my opinion counts for much but when I do mine I just plan to follow Mike's article.  A $30+ gasket with proper cleanup and careful tightening of the bolts should last a good long while.  Now, if someone sold a basic one made out of plate steel that was then machined just for flatness, I might be interested at the right price.  I have other things on which I'd rather spend $200 - like that Hot Rod induction heater that Mike reviewed!

• Like 3

I totally agree in principle with that, it’s just that I’ve read many threads of guys that had to redo the job even after being careful. It seems even the slightest dent or imperfection can result in a leak. If the billet cover increases my chances of a successful install then the $200 is worth it to me. I’m also guessing the oring on the billet cover is easier to line up than the gasket? 

That’s a fair point. My goal would be to never have to replace it again, that would defeat the purpose of paying a premium for the billet cover, but I suppose I could ask for an extra oring when/if I buy it. I guess the prudent thing to do is see what kind of shape my stock cover is in when I remove it, if it’s compromised I can do the billet, if it looks good I can keep it and just do a gasket. If I’m just going by reading threads on the forums, this job seems to have a failure rate higher than 50%. That stinks. 

49 minutes ago, Andyba20 said:

I could ask for an extra oring

If they won't send one you can measure the OD of the o-ring material and make one out of o-ring 'cord'.  Just a dab of RTV, etc. will seal up the ends come together.  Put the seam at the top of the cover where it's least likely to have a steady pool of oil sitting on it - make gravity your friend.
https://www.weaverdistributing.com/18-buna-cord-o-ring-material-bulk-p-20900002.html

• Like 1

• Owner

As long as the cam cover is complete flat you don't need to replace the cover. The gasket is a slip on o-ring and you use ZERO sealants. Just reinstall and properly torque the bolts evenly. Nothing more. I've done at least a dozen cam covers in my time and never had a return leak yet. The key to this is cover is flat and not warped and that you instal the gasket the right way. NAPA has a small tab stating which way toward engine.

I've never had the need to install a aftermarket cam cover yet. 

• Like 1