• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Graditude & Questions regarding Gear Cover Oil Leak Repair

I want to thank Mopar Man and all of the members that have shared their knowledge, experiences, and wisdom in our endeavor to maintain and perfect our Ram Cummins.  You guys have a real passion for these machines and your willingness to share and help strangers is a fine example of the type of individuals you are!  Cheers to all of you!

I have been learning from this site for several years, first as a non member and now as a subscriber.  If I look hard enough I will find the information I need to solve all the different issues I have taken on with my Ram.  The expertise and technical insight I have gained from all of you is beyond any expectations I ever had.  Some of the articles and write ups from Mike & W-T regarding electrical alone have left me thinking and re-reading those articles several times to fully understand the information they were sharing.

A couple of years ago I went after the oil leak at front crank seal and gear cover gasket, while in there I realized that the gear cover to block seal was leaking but I wasn't prepared to pull the cam and needed the truck back in use.  The leak has become worse recently and I hate leaving oil on the ground when I park.  Question #1  Must I completely disconnect and remove the injection pump or can I unbolt it from the gear cover housing after pulling the gear drive and remove the cover.  #2 If I remove the mounting bracket and bolt for the vacuum pump and power steering pump and unbolt from the gear cover can I leave vacuum pump and ps pump bolted together?  #3 What are the chances the tappet cover will start leaking in the future, no leak currently.  Just fearful that if I'm in this far for the gear cover leak should I keep going and do the tappet cover as preventive or just hope for the best.

I learned a long time ago that I would rather work on the Ram in the shop than on the side of the road and try to be proactive with preventive maintenance.  Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ill tell you something. If its not leaking youve got real  problems something is very wrong. Would advice truck is parked for further evaluation. 

Ive had my valve cover off 5 or 6 times in 14 years ive had my truck. Its probably about the only place its not currently leaking.

I also find sometimes removing more stuff out your way turns into far less work than working around n through crap.

Welcome to the hen house or is it the **** show.  Idk