• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Firewood run mishap

• Owner

Wednesday (Oct 17, 2023) we all headed out and got up to the west side of Florence ID and got to our old spot. Damn It! Our wood spot has been bone-picked. We moved to another spot on the mountain and found lots of wood but bigger-diameter trees. No biggy. So I started to back up the trailer to park it out of the way and the steering started to whine. I shut down instantly and got out and you can clearly see the fluid came out of the top cover of the steering box. Being Beast has all of Thor's tools I just simply got the right wrench. Now checking the top cover 2 bolts were loose. I snugged up the bolts and no what for fluid? 

DISCLAIMER: NOT A PERMANENT SOLUTION JUST A BAND-AID! 

I just happened to be lucky I had 5 quarts of ATF+4 in the truck and a transmission funnel. I poured ATF fluid till it ran over the top of the reservoir. It least filled with fluid. We continued our wood gathering and had no issues. Now an old man years ago told me, "Even the wrong fluid is better than no fluid!" In this case, I was lucky I had the ATF in the toolbox yet. Now I've got to go buy a gallon jug of power steering fluid and flush the ATF out of the system.

Why 1989 to 2002 Was Power Steering Fluid vs. 2003 And Newer Are ATF+4

WARNING! - 1989 to 2002 Dodge Ram trucks all took power steering fluid. DO NOT use ATF+4 as a fluid substitute being the seals are not compatible with ATF or even ATF+4. This is why the 2003 and newer trucks run ATF+4 because Dodge did away with Sagnaw Steering Boxes and switched over to Ford Steering Boxes. This is why all 2003 and newer trucks have ATF+4 for power steering fluid. 

So shortly I'll be building a power steering flush article. :doh:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Would ATF+4 still be a no go on a redhead?? I heard they’re bench tested with that fluid… I’ve had ATF in mine the past week since doing the shaft seal on her.. and got a trip cross country next week and already am jam packed with maintenance to do before said trip.

• Owner

No ATF. I had to flush mine out I got it done 4 days after. The seals in the system may not be compatible with ATF. 

1989 to 2002 is all power steering fluid. No ATF.

2003 to current are all ATF systems. Why? Dodge dropped Saginaw steering gear for Ford Steering gear. 

In a nutshell power steering fluid is thicker viscosity wise compared to ATF. Power steering fluid is more like hydraulic oil.

• Like 1