• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clicky tapping flutter noise??

edit: added video in reply

Hey gents, glad to see the site is back! I needed it during that time hahaha.

I just replaced my head and put in some 110# springs, ARP 425’s etc. I have this tapping noise that is usually most prevalent when coming down into idle range whether in gear or free revving in neutral. I have a feeling it’s a bad exhaust leak but it’s driving me nuts since occasionally it’s not there and then will be there when I park.

I adjusted valves after the head job and did mess up there the first time.. lost #6 intake bridge due to I believe the nut being too loose (oops, live and learn!). Replaced that push rod, and used moparman’s write up to a T and I’ve kept all my bridges but I have this tapping noise. I feel the only way to describe it is maybe tapping spoons together? And you can definitely hear it when changing RPM’s (especially when revving and listening when it comes back to idle RPM). Truck drives and runs great aside from it. Could too tight of clearances cause any noises?

I’m driving cross country on the 21st back home to Nevada as my tenure in the military is coming to an end and I’m worried sick with my ole truck. 

ANY suggestions are appreciated it as I have this week to do some diagnosing. I have some videos I could upload but not sure you guys can pinpoint the specific noise I’m concerned about due to quality and the fact I drive her daily and hear every rattle 24/7!

Edited by YeaImDylan

• Owner

How about injectors? How much mileage on them? Being a injector that is popping at the wrong time of poor spray pattern could produce an uneven pulse to the turbo. Exhaust manifold leaking or cracked? Again the pulses (drive pressure) could be wasted to the leaking exhaust manifold and create problems. Down pipe most likely won't affect the performance but a leaking exhaust would just create the noise being its after the turbo.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

How about injectors? How much mileage on them? Being a injector that is popping at the wrong time of poor spray pattern could produce an uneven pulse to the turbo. Exhaust manifold leaking or cracked? Again the pulses (drive pressure) could be wasted to the leaking exhaust manifold and create problems. Down pipe most likely won't affect the performance but a leaking exhaust would just create the noise being its after the turbo.

Injectors are newer, I'd confidently say they have less than 10k on them and I had them set to the BAR you've spoken about (315/320 IIRC?). They're DAP's VCO 150HP 7x.010. I'd check my engine load at idle and other parameters but my quad is not wanting to populate on bluetooth any longer :rolleyes: Spoke to Quadzilla and they want me to send it in since using a friend's bluetooth dongle did not make it show up on bluetooth. Honestly sucks because I'm on my Daily tune max level for my older setup... Oh well. It'll be 90% highway miles cruising at 65/70.

So it ended up being my overhead... I followed your guide to a T but damn I managed to mess that up lol. Maybe my adjuster nuts aren't oblong any longer? I'm not sure if ours are like that or not. The loud pronounced clack is gone and the thumping/flutter from the air box is gone as well.. I only hear it a tad when lugging the engine and coasting. Once I'm back home, I will spray some soapy water around the exhaust manifold and check for leaks and cracks. My drive home to Nevada starts tomorrow so I'm praying everything goes smooth. I have high hopes after all the work I've put into her.