• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Codes, Cold, Ice

It’s snowing here in East TN today, but more importantly the temps are dropping to zero here over the next few days which is rare for us. I took my batteries to Walmart today to have them load tested and they say they checked fine. Put them back in the truck, started right up (I’ve been driving all day) a little ways down the road I got a CEL. 1689 and P0238. Truck would stumble every 1/4 mile or so. Got home, tuned the truck off, the lift pump was running. Thought maybe I missed a ground wire or something when I was hooking everything back up. Batteries unhooked now. Any ideas on where to start? I’d like to figure it out tonight before the real cold and ice get here tomorrow morning. 

• Staff

Hello Andyba20, your lift pump's not cutting out is it? Make sure everything on the batteries is tight and clean and all W-T mods are still tight, nothing lose. I would check fuses related to fuel and remember that it's very difficult to tell if one of the square fuses with a window on top is open circuited. You cannot see the break cause it's so small that you have to test them with an OHM meter. Mike Nelson taught me that. :thumb1:

• Like 1

Thanks @JAG1 I’ll double check everything. Just odd that the truck ran like a sewing machine all day and then after the load test and hooking everything back up I got these issues. 

On a side note, like @Mopar1973Man I’ve had good luck with Walmart batteries for a long time, but this set I got in early 2022 have been replaced under warranty twice already. My electrical system is perfect, so it’s the batteries. The AGM batteries in my 4th gen are 6 years old, can sit for a month in 20 degree weather and crank right up. Might be time to change it up on the 2nd gen too. 

• Owner

I typically get 10 years from Walmart batteries being is exactly the same manufacture of battery supplied by Dodge dealers. There is only like 3 manufactures for batteries.

W-T ground wire mod done? Load test your battery cables on the truck? AC noise test of the alternator and load testing? Some of these thing can damage batteries.

Just remember DO NOT equalize charge a AGM battery it will damage the battery. Lead acid batteries need a equalize charge once in a while to deal with plate sulphation and stir the distilled water in. 

Personally I'd rather stay lead/acid batteries much cheaper and last much longer that most AGMs.

17053523538698741237958996714807.jpg

That's a 1,000 pounds of lead/acid batteries that power my entire house. I bet you won't believe they are 12 years old and still handling a entire 2 story house 3 bedroom and 2 bath.

Seriously stay lead/acid way better option for keeping them alive past 10 years.

*update* the ground wire of the wiring harness for the Raptor (relay harness) had slipped down behind the radiator. Got the fixed, still showing a MAP sensor code. Cleared it but came back.