• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Giving new life to my impact wrench

cummins2k

So I thought I would share for those of use who use an impact wrench to make life a little easier. My hands are shot so when I wrench on my cars I tend to use power tools where possible to lessen the strain on my hands.

I was using a Kobalt 350 ft/lbs wrench but the thing is fairly heavy and doesn't make that much power. Don't get me wrong it works well for it's intended purpose and actually is quite a bit better than any Campbell Hausfeld or Harbor Freight cheapies (i.e. $40 or less.)

So I purchased a composite NitroCat 1200k after reading some reviews on them. Ultimately I was shocked at how much power it had using an older 120v 20-gallon compressor. However there was still much to be desired on stubborn fasteners that I felt the 200-900 working torque would have no problem handing. I didn't feel the issue was with the compressor because it still would go some time without cycling. The hose is a 3/8" air hose with minimal coupling and the regulator is also 3/8" I.D. Pressure was maxed at 125psi.

Posted Image

Well on a trip to Homedepot to get some things for the house I went by the air tool section and found a 3/8 coupler kit. They were made to screw directly into the air tools 1/4 NPT threads, and best of all it cost $10. Part number is #HDA20700AV.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I figured for 10 bucks it couldn't be a huge loss and installed them the next day. The difference was night and day. It seems the wrench impacts a lot less and it takes fasteners off now that it would have struggled with before.

Posted Image

I really should have the gun on a leader hose but haven't got around to it yet. That is my next project lol.

So a heads up for anyone that is having issues getting power out of an air tool, it may very well be those cheap 1/4 couplers. :thumbup2:

You do realize that it took a "college" edumucated engineer to reduce the size of the fittings so that they wouldn't work properly. You do realize now that you're possibly taking a job away from that incompetent engineer that doesn't deserve it if this gets out.......right??????? Just so you know what you're doing!!!:thumb1:Well done!!!!:smart::thumbup2:

:banghead: I should really do this with all my air tools... It a good idea and I should of paid more attention to detail in the early years and I wouldn't be trapped with the restrictive air fittings today...

Well I don't know if you have a Home Depot nearby way out there but I have heard through the grapevine that Napa sells the individual parts to do basically the same thing. There are also 1/4" HVLP fittings meant for paint guns but they work equally well with other air tools, though I don't believe they flow as much as a 3/8" fitting.

• Owner

Well I don't know if you have a Home Depot nearby way out there but I have heard through the grapevine that Napa sells the individual parts to do basically the same thing. There are also 1/4" HVLP fittings meant for paint guns but they work equally well with other air tools, though I don't believe they flow as much as a 3/8" fitting.

There is nothing near me... Really... :stuned: Napa is 52 miles 1 way... Nearest Home Depot is ~180 miles 1 way... Closest town to me with a population of about 300 people has a gas station, post office, grocery store, and 3 bars... Even Harbor Frieght is the same distance as HomeDepot... Everything is in Boise, ID... :rolleyes: Just to give you a feel... Watch the vids... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPV0cnu7kdc and

There is nothing near me... Really... :stuned: Napa is 52 miles 1 way... Nearest Home Depot is ~180 miles 1 way... Closest town to me with a population of about 300 people has a gas station, post office, grocery store, and 3 bars... Even Harbor Frieght is the same distance as HomeDepot... Everything is in Boise, ID... :rolleyes: Just to give you a feel... Watch the vids...

and
Wow that is quite the trip. I have to say I envy you. I used to live in Iowa where it was quite the trip to the nearest town. Sure it made life a little more difficult since everything in the closest town closed at 7pm. I miss not being bothered and not having to worry about the neighbors because they were 20 miles away. Even though I live in a smaller town here in Colorado I am a mere 10 miles from a much larger town and 30 miles from Denver. I can't stand the traffic, smog, and politics. We used to go out in the backyard and practice shoot because we couldn't hit a neighbor not with anything in our arsenal at least. Seems here in Colorado you can't even scratch your own arse without a permit.