• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I have a blue chip diesel Premium VP44 in the truck, last time I drove it it felt worse then my old with 300k or something on it.. 

Much slower...

So I was curious, you can add like 7x13 injectors and pick up added reliability out of the vp itself by detuning it so it works less hard... but I heard that 7x10's are the max size injector you should go with for towing heavy. 

So I'm curious what it is in a 8 hole? And HP deferences. 

That said there are Turbonators for VGT S300'S, any idea how much you can pickup on these trucks with one of those? Like fuel only numbers? + upsize in turbo with the VGT

I heard it's like the old s364 before SXE'S came out.. so any idea whats up there? 

I know it's keeping it in a short window rpm wise still, just curious where that might get you? Like s464 nowadays or..... still NOT happening :P 

I understand the front ends do not have enough air movement for much more then 400hp. But I got a 3 row radiator and It wouldn't climb in coolant temps...  like 0 desfrost... So after I get it rebuilt I'd like to test that out. Forget what's up intercooler wise... 

Either need another or it's a Mishimoto? 

It's a nv4500 with 3.54's 4wd DRW, plan to get a new engine after frame straightening & cab... etc then south bend dual disc & 1.375 input shaft. Been forever but I've seen people cryogenically treating the internals before, and they said it helps out for like 50% over the stock rating HP wise..  but I got a new NV5600 main case.

The only complaint I have is that I've heard the nv5600 has oiling problems and burns up easily. So I'm just not to sure there... should I just get a g56 for a swap?

So that might leave turbo choices... I have a s200 58/61/14 on there currently. But should I compound that with a s366 or something? In the traditional tow route with staying in the efficiency range? Or get like a s464 with VGT or some kind of SXE s300? 

Will only get DDP'S for injectors... 

I've heard that the s300g are much to restrictive from my turbo guys. But was considering a s358 or something.

Thank you for your time.. lots of questions.. 

Mostly would be a backup truck but who wants a gutless tow pig? :P

don't want a he341 or modified stocker but it would probably be a good idea with a smaller s300 compound... 

it's just to sit there and have something to drive around when the 3rd gen craps out.. 

1 hour ago, ICU_24VNUT said:

The only complaint I have is that I've heard the nv5600 has oiling problems and burns up easily. So I'm just not to sure there...

I have heard the same, but it has never worried me.  I believe there is a marginal sized oil passage for a particular bearing (not sure which one) that can starve that bearing for oil.  I have a NV5600 that has logged 386,000 miles with no issues and I tow up to 21,000 lbs up 6% / 7% grades in hot weather.  The only work done to the transmission was to replace the rear seal at 297,000 miles while I had the transmission out when I replaced the first clutch. 

I do make sure the oil level never gets low and sometimes even overfill it, just because of the above-mentioned oiling issue.  I would place a lot more trust in a NV5600 or a G56 than I would in a NV4500 even after modifications were done.  Beside, the extra gear is worth a lot, as well.

- John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Don't use factory fluids! I've upgraded to SAE 50 Eaton Fuller transmission fluid and doing awesome at 500 HP. Factory fluid is too thin and bearing and syncro damage occurs because the HP went up but the fluid is too thin. 

Factory - 75w-80 is actually 10w-30 engine oil. Then Eaton Fuller is 50 SAE is actually 90 weight gear lube. No issues with shifting even as low as -40°F.

Anyone know about the 98.5 -2002 cabs being the same instead of narrower or smaller inside the cab in like the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton cabs? 

And do the the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton cabs for right onto the 1 ton frames? Just heard the 1 ton frames are more narrower.

Thank you 

NotSoNicely 

• Staff

The 1500's use 2.5" wide leaf springs and hangers. The Cummins trucks use 3".

I don't believe there is a thinner/thicker difference in the pickup frames, just the front suspension parts are beefier to hold up to the weight of the Cummins engine.

The cab & chassis models are built heavier after the trans crossmember, so those frames are different.

From what I've read the cab should just be a bolt on setup - regular cab to regular cab frame, and quad cab to quad cab frame.