• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Standalone 24v wiring into Ford

I have a 1976 F250 that i have swapped a 2001 24v cummins into. I have built several different standalone harnesses for other engines (7.3  powerstroke, 6.0 powerstroke) but this is my first VP44 24v. I have also swapped many 12v cummins into Fords. Im looking for ideas to solve a problem im having. I have a complete 2001 dodge donor truck. Im using the PCM from the dodge to control the 47re. Everything is in the truck and wired but the engine will crank only and will not allow the vp44 to fire. I can do the "hot wire" test on the vp44 and it will start and idle. Also i can unplug the dodge PCM, (cummins ecm and vp44 wiring connected) and the engine will start and run, and rev with the throttle pedal. With the engine running if i plug the PCM in, the engine instantly dies. With the PCM plugged in, the vp44 still has the correct ground and power inputs but isnt allowing fuel to flow. As far as i can tell by the wiring diagrams the only link between the vp44 and the PCM is the datalink wiring. My thinking is a parameter inside the PCM is telling the vp44 to inhibit fueling through the datalink wires. I am wondering what part of the wiring that i have excluded in my standalone harness could be making the pcm see a conidtion that doesnt allow the engine to run. Another thing to note is i do not have the dodge instrument cluster anymore so it does have a code for no bus from instrument cluster. Will the dodge run with the instrument cluster removed? I have also seen lots of forums saying their 98-02 will not start just cranks until the wait to start light goes out. i do not have a wts light wired but i have noticed when looking at live data on the scan tool the wts light pid is on and the intake heater says on. Any ideas are appreciated. thanks!

Update: I wired in the instrument cluster temporarily and still have the same issue. The only way I have gotten it to run now with the pcm plugged in is by un pining one of the CCD wires from the pcm. So my question now is does the pcm need to see the CCD bus to control the transmission correctly?

• Owner
Posted (edited)

Yes. Needs to see like the ABS module for road speed, ECM for tach signal, etc. Then whole idea was to use two wires and all modules communicate over the CCD network to get the information from other modules to continue operational needs.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

That was exactly my thought. The dodge had leather and heated seats so I thought it might have some type of anti theft but I could not find any information about anything like that. Is there a module or anything in the dodge to tell if it has that? And if it does maybe a pcm reprogram will fix my issues 

You might try disconnecting pin 5 of the VP44 that line can shut it off. 

I have 1978 F250 mud truck. Thought about a cummins in it with a ZF5. Did yours have factory  AC? do you have to run electric radiator fan?

@Linux made a wiring diagram that may help 

https://github.com/jlaustill/fummins-data/blob/main/harnesses/00-02-cummins-engine/harness.png

@Great work! I did try removing pin 5 and it still wouldn’t start so I have it narrowed down to the CCD circuit not allowing it to start. For now I just have it unpinned from the pcm and everything seems to be working. It is shifting through the gears and all. It does have factory ac. I had to flip the manifold to clear the ac box. I will run the stock dodge fan and fan clutch. I did this also on the 12 valve i put in my 73’ f250.