• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tabbing my KDP today

Finally taking care of my KDP today. I've been aware of the KDP issues for quite a while and always convinced myself "it won't happen to me".After reading over the procedure a couple hundred times it finally seemed less intimidating and I decided to tackle it.Today I got down to the dowel itself and found it firmly seated in it's hole.Tomorrow I'll make the tab and reassemble.One concern is how to keep the engine from turning while torquing the dampener bolts.Any suggestions?John

I guess i should have included some details, huh?1996 Ram 2500 Auto trans. Totally stock, 188k miles. owned by me for ten years. 150k of those miles are mine.I read where a barring tool is used. Also a large screw driver in the ring gear, but I have no idea how to access that. (remove starter?)I'll see what happens tomorrow.

There is a plug on the front of the bell housing on the passenger side that you stick the barring tool into, maybe you can stick something in there. I wrote a whole article on all of this but it is still in the processing phase or something :lol:

You can remove the cover on the tranny (3. 8mm screws) and put a screwdriver in the teeth of the flex plate.Or put a rag on the flexplate and vicegrip it.I have also used two sockets in the harmonic balancer.Just work them against each other.

My gear cover is back on, but I just noticed an instruction that says to put RTV on the threads of all the bolts. I think this is assuming you are using RTV as the gasket.I am using a real gasket, so do I still need RTV? IF so, I have to wait till tomorrow to finish, if not I'll be done today.Sure would hate to start from scratch because of an oil leak.Thanks, John

I wouldn't imagine you would need RTV on the gasket or bolts as long as the cover and case mating surfaces were nice and clean. I would use loctite on the bolts. The only problem with the timing cover is that it is so thin that it warps a little around the bolt holes and that is why RTV helps fill in the warpage since a gasket is all one thickness. Sooo, I'm going to say leave it be on the gasket. I would consider loctite on all the bolts though, they loosen up very quickly because of the engine rattle. Here is how I did mine. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/kdp/kdp.htm

I second the lock tite on the bolts. They do loosen up and make a mess. I have tabbed the KDP in 2 1/2 hours with hand tools in my driveway. Nice feeling to take care of it!!