• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

04 Subaru short low beam life

flagmanruss

Pretty much says it. It seems to be getting worse.

I know the wifee is on the road all the time... car has DRL (Daytime Running Lights). I think the last pair (NAPA) lasted 6 months. No, no one touched the glass. Last night she came home with NO low beams. Installed another pair of NAPAs today.

NAPA BP1255/H1 package marked "AUXILIARY OFF ROAD"

made for NAPA by FEDERAL MOGUL "Made in Hungary"

The lights are "bright enough" but I'm thinking of trying another brand. At this rate, I should keep them on the shelf!

--- Update to the previous post...

I've spent a lot of time Googling & reading... found the following interesting link: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-light-bulb-life-explained/ The article deals with 05 & up... ours is an 04. Looks like the same issue. Where do i find a Long Life bulb?

• Owner

Bulb heat? Are the bulbs getting to hot and failing? That's the problem I got with my 100w bulbs on the bottom of the bumper. According to NAPA they have had a issues with mine about the bulb getting to hot in the rubber buckets and blowing the filaments. Usually notice this by a burn mark on the reflector. So hopefully it will give a clue... :shrug:

Stock OEM headlights... standard 55w H1 bulbs. One thing I've just remembered... apparently the bulbs can be reversed. Flat can physically mount up or down... fine print says to put it up. I can not remember which way I had the flat so I'll be opening it up in the morning to see.

Russ

--- Update to the previous post...

OK, I opened it back up. The flat on the bulb was down. I tried it with the flat up but it would not go. There IS an index in the Subaru light fixture that FORCES the down orientation. So the way I had it is how it must be. I used an alcohol wipe on the glass to be sure & closed it up.

I'm planning to track the bulb life & keep a fresh pair in the drawer at home.

Russ

I just wanted to share: I found NAPA Online... 04 Subaru Headlight replacement: BP1255/H1 (6.99) Warentee 60 days manu defectsBP 1255H1LL (12.99) Warentee 60 days manu defectsATM 64150 (4.59) ALTROM make 12 month/12,000 miles guarentee12258CVS2 (twin pack) (34.99) Warentee 60 days manu defectsGuess I'll be ordering 2 ATM bulbs... online...

I think the majority of H1 lamps available today are used in inexpensive driving lights... and are cheaply made to sell at a low price point. The fact that Subaru went to (and bulb makers list, even if hard to find) "long life" bulbs, shows recognition of this as an issue. Since having a headlight (rather than an optional driving light) go out, could be serious... I'm going to follow Subaru's lead & go to LL Bulbs in the future. Some attribute the short bulb life to Subaru's use of low beams as DRLs.

I think the "brighter" aftermarket bulbs sacrifice some life for that brightness... I have ordered the ALTROM ATM 64150 bulbs thru NAPA locally (rather than an online purchase). $4.59 each with a 12 month warentee. The NAPA branded bulbs cost $6.99 each with a 90 day warentee. I'm assuming the manufacturers know what they are talking about & would not give a 12 month warentee if they didn't believe they'd last that long... I also found listings for Sylvania bulbs at $6.99 only a 90 day warentee with them... Any rate, this is the choice I made. I'm clocking the NAPA bulbs I just installed in her Subaru now... I'll report back when I get more data.edit: NAPA bulbs "Made in Hungry"ALTROM bulbs "made in Germany"

Just an update... The NAPA autoparts called, my ALTROM ATM 64150 bulbs were in. They were indeed priced LESS THAN the NAPA branded bulbs... But get this: the ALTROM ATM 64150 bulbs are made in GERMANY contrast with the Hungery made NAPA bulbs. Years ago, the non-DOT lens & H1 bulbs I ran in my RoadRunner were Hella & Carrello (Hella is German & the optocs were superb). Here's hoping the ALTROM bulbs are of equal quality to my old ones.